Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 and 1851 Census look

Help!
    My research interest is changing and I don't have census access.

Now I'm looking for William Mitchell, plasterer, living in London, with son, William. Son was born Nov 1834. Mother may have been Ann. Especially interested if anyone in the house has Coverly in their name. I have never found a baptism for this child.

I have the Camp Curragh civil registration of son William's marriage. That's the source of his father's name and occupation. His wife's father's name was correct, but that father's occupation was not, so I'm not absolutely certain of William's father's info.

There may also have been a Scottish connection, but I definitely have this ancestor in 1871 and 1881 census, and in both cases he lists London Middlesex as his birthplace. Don't know if they could have gone back to Scotland after his birth, and later he returns to England.

Thanks!
    Sarah

I should add:
    My research direction changed because I obtained son William's daughter's birth certificate: William is a Builder Journeyman. Makes me believe more in the father's occupation in the marriage record. Son William was living in Devon at the time of the daughter's birth.

There's a strong possibility that son William's baptism was in a non-conformist church. There is a family rumor that his mother's side was Huguenot - the source of the (de) Coverly name.

Comment

Not having much luck finding anything to match.
      You say you have a transcription of the Camp Curragh marriage - am I right in thinking Camp Curragh was a military base, if so was William in the Army.
      If he was then maybe his army records, if they are available, might have a more definitive birth place, rather than just Middlesex.
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry, military searches have not been fruitful. He was a corporal in the REs, out in either 1866 or 1867. Apparently, he did not stay in long enough to receive a pension - I have not found a pension record in FMP, tho if someone wants to look with a second pair of eyes, I'd be grateful. Muster record searches (not complete) have not been of use (still looking). REs did not stay with just one company/regiment.

I just received his daughter's birth certificate, and William's occupation seems to support the marriage record's father, not the family we thought, who was a tin plate worker, whose first name was John. We were thinking (hoping?) that the name and occupation on the marriage record were transcription errors.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          I just received his daughter's birth certificate, and William's occupation seems to support the marriage record's father, not the family we thought, who was a tin plate worker, whose first name was John. We were thinking (hoping?) that the name and occupation on the marriage record were transcription errors.
          So are we still looking for a William Mitchel born c1834 with father William, occ. plasterer?

Out of interest what is your source for William's birth being November 1834?
          Elaine

Comment

Several birth date sources, none solid proof in themselves, but consistent enough to be believable:
            Family bible - not contemporaneous to his birth, but probably in his lifetime
            DC - gave date of death, and age (yrs, mon, day) which calculate to Nov 1834
            US 1900 census - which asked month and year of birth (also Nov 1834).

Yeah, pretty sure of his birth day.

Yes, marriage record indicate his father is a plasterer.

It also indicates her father is a painter. In reality, her father was a thatcher and photographer. So, whether there may have been transcription errors, or interpretation errors, or obfuscation: she was listed as full age, but in reality, she was about 10 months shy of 21. Her father's name is correct, however, so I don't think she was misleading.

Comment

Working...
            X