Help! I'm going round in circles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I'm going round in circles.

Can someone help me untangle this lot please.

Elizabeth Dorey married Mark Mitchell in 1809 in Old Alresford. They had a son James in 1814. Mark had previously been married and had son Christopher in 1806.

In 1841 Mark, presumably widowed is with son Christopher, who has married Jane Dorey (I think a niece of his step-mother Elizabeth) and has numerous children. No sign of James.

I found James as a lodger in the 1851. Christopher is still with his family which now includes a grand-son Christopher Dorey.(b.1850)

In 1861 James is with Edwin Budd and Ellen Budd. Edwin is head of Household, a widower, and Ellen is his sister. James is entered as his brother. Edwin's wife was Elizabeth Page.

Christopher Dorey is with his mother, Mary Mitchell (unmarried) who is living with Henry Merritt and wife Amelia - she is stated to be Henry's sister! Amelia was born Amelia White in 1813.

So what I am trying to find out is - where was James Mitchell in 1841; what is his relationship with Edwin and Ellen Budd, and what is Mary Mitchells relationship with Henry and Amelia Merritt. I am assuming that Christopher Dorey was the illegitimate son of a Dorey.

(All of the above were in Old Alresford in Hampshire. The trees on Ancestry are wrong, they have James as the son of another couple)

Thanks in advance

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Thats not James in Freshwater on the IOW in 1841? ...living with the Emberley family...hes a Servant

Nicky

Comment

[QUOTE.....In 1861 James is with Edwin Budd and Ellen Budd. Edwin is head of Household, a widower, and Ellen is his sister. James is entered as his brother. Edwin's wife was Elizabeth Page.QUOTE].....

I can`t see James Mitchell with Edwin and Ellen budd in 1861....theres just a Moses Budd a Servant....or have I read it wrong?

Nicky

Comment

Hi Nicky, it's possible that is him in 1841, unfortunately there were 5 James Mitchells born in Hampshire between 1813 and 1816 - 3 in Portsea, 1 in Portsmouth and mine.

This is the link to the 1861 census http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1. Source citation if you don't have Ancestry : Class: RG9; Piece: 703; Folio: 55; Page: 15;

I can't see a Moses Budd?

Linda
        Linda

Comment

In 1861 Mary Mitchell 25, Christopher Dorey 11, and Andrew Machkie 6 and Elizabeth Machkie 8 actually are listed on a different number on the schedule..implying they lived next door.

Is Mary mitchells age 25 correct? if so she had Christopher when she was 14....., is she a Mitchell from birth or was she a Dorey who married a Mitchell? Do you have Mary in 1851? and are Elizabeth and Andrew also her children?? they are listed as daughter and son under Marys name on the image in 1861....

Is Mary Mitchell the daughter of Christopher Mitchell born 1806 prior to him marrying Jane Dorey?...I think you may need to get Christopher Dorey born 1805 Birth Cert. to untangle who is who...

Nicky

Comment

Originally posted by nickyinsunnysussex View Post
            Thats not James in Freshwater on the IOW in 1841? ...living with the Emberley family...hes a Servant

Nicky
            I dont think thats him Nicky.. there isa James Mitchell with wife in 1851 in freshwater IOW.. (sez he was born on IOW too)

there are some prison records though for another Jas Mitchell, but they are when he was aged 18 and 20.. at Portsmouth I think it was. so may not be him.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Found your problem...On ancestry the image pages are out of sync.....Edwin and Ellen are no 89...when you go to next image its no. 80, not 90...

i have looked on fmp where the images follow on correctly.

in fact I think it may say Moses Dorey and not moses Budd. Have you got fmp?...if not you need to go back or forward on Ancestry to find the next schedule no 90.

In the meantime i will find the entry with James mitchell as brother...

nicky

Comment

james/and moses in 1871

Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1861..Barton cottages Old Alresford..schedule no. 79

john Mitchell 48 Head
                  Eliza Mitchell 39 Wife
                  Eliza "" 9 daughter
                  Jane " 8 " "
                  George " 1 son
                  James " Brother 46 Ag Lab Unmarried

Thats the family...

nicky
                  Last edited by nickyinsunnysussex; 13-04-11, 20:26.

Comment

So James born 1814 also had a brother John born 1812.... are there any other siblings? could Mary be his daughter?

Nicky

Comment

Mary Mitchell in 1851.......working as a servant

RG number:
                      HO107

Piece:
                      Folio:
                      Page:

Nicky

Comment

Found what looks like mary in 1841... shes the daughter of Christopher and Jane {nee Dorey},

This looks like Andrew from the 1861 birth reg......

Births Sep 1854

Macghie Andrew Arthur.......... Alresford 2c 115

Nicky

Comment

This is getting a bit more confusing - I just checked on the IGI and they have an entry for Christopher Dorey, baptised in 1850, son of Sarah Dorey. In 1852 Sarah Dowry married Andrew Macghie and then had Elizabeth in Portsea and Andrew in Alresford, which matches up with the children in the 1861. Sarah subsequently went on the marry Alfred Parsons. I'm now wondering if one of Mary's brothers was the father of Christopher, and she lived with him as a domestic and he was away from home on census night 1861 (now that the Merritts are out of the picture). Therefore she would be the sister of the (absent ) head, and Christopher his son.

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

To sum up your original question ...James mitchell is not the brother of Edwin and Ellen Budd...that was merely just a mix up with the census images.

As i have looked through the Alresford census i have noticed a lot of Meritt families.......maybe one of Mary Mitchell sisters married in to the Merritts, and whoever provided the census image meant that Mary was a sister in law of Henry Merritt?, we don`t know who gave the information to the enumerator, but wonder if the enumerator in fact got his information mixed up when filling in the form, as the Mackhie children Elizabeth and Andrew somehow seem out of place with Mary and certainly don`t seem to be her children, maybe the enumerator was told that they were her sisters children...hence why she is listed as sister and the children as hers...

Nicky

Comment

Just read your posting.....could Sarah Dorey have been Janes child before her marriage to Christopher mitchell?... if so Sarah and Mary would have grown up as step sisters.....hence why the children were with Mary in 1861, and as I said above above the enumerator got mixed up.

Nicky

Comment

I think I've sussed it. Jane Biggs married John Dorey in 1823. Sarah was born in 1827 and Gilbert in 1829. John presumably died around 1830 and Jane remarried Christopher Mitchell in 1831. (I have the discs for Hampshire marriages and baptisms - come in very handy!) It didn't however mention that Jane was a widow. So the Gilbert Mitchell on the 1841 census, age 12 was actually Gilbert Dorey, and Christopher was the grandchild of Christopher and Jane Mitchell. Also in 1861 Mary Mitchell was the sister of Sarah, who was away from home. Phew, that one worked out, thanks for your help Nicky, I hadn't twigged on Marys age when Christopher was born, which made me look at it from another angle.

Sorry Julie, I missed your posts re James Mitchell above, and the out of sync pages. Had a look at them now, and it looks like that is not my James - the trees might be right after all. There was a James Mitchel baptised in 1818 who had a brother Moses, but his parents were John and Elizabeth, not Mark and Betty. Unfortunately the age was out by just enough to confuse me .

I think I need to get the Hampshire burial disc too - now how long till my birthday?

Thanks for your help folks, I think that's another one sorted.

Linda
                                Last edited by ozgirl; 13-04-11, 21:10. Reason: wrong name
                                Linda

Comment

and just to add more confusion.....heres a Sarah Dorey marriage ..did she marry a Merritt???

Marriages Jun 1855

>>>?DOREY Sarah Alresford... 2c 219
                                  >>>?MERRITT William Alresford... 2c 219
                                  MERRYFIELD Jane Alresford... 2c 219
                                  WARWICK Henry Alresford... 2c 219

Nicky
                                  Last edited by nickyinsunnysussex; 13-04-11, 22:46.

Comment

Hi Nicky, looking on the 1891 census, that Sarah Dorey was born in New Alresford about 1832. There was one born in New A. in December 1830 to James and Mary - I think it was her. There were 4 Sarah Doreys born in that area within 2 years. All related I think.

Linda
                                    Linda

Comment

Working...
                                    X