Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morning, I need your legendary sleuthing skills please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning, I need your legendary sleuthing skills please!

I need to find a chap on the 1881. I've tried and failed. Dismally!

Samuel Hammersley (mispellings are rife) born apr 1855 to James and Thomasine (nee Sawyer), christened feb 1887 (IGI).

I have him with family in '61 and '71, and apparently married but without his wife (or children?) present, in his father's house in 1891. He is not the Samuel who marries an Elizabeth Beck in 1872 (IGI, freebmd) who is much older, nor is he, I think, the Samuel born 1854/55 in Fenton who is traceable on other censuses. I also don't think he's the Samuel Hammersley on the 1900 US census married to a Rosa as that Samuel was app born in 1857 and entered the States in 1888. There is one other decent possibility for a marriage in Jun 1877 qtr to a Hannah Cheney or a Mary Ann Jackson, but I can't find good possibilities for either of these ladies with Samuel or the other possible spouse on later censuses.

Help!

Kate x

Is the date for the baptism correct? He would have been 22 years of age by 1887. Also where was he born pleas and can you give the references for the censuses where you have found him.
    Margaret

Comment

Here he is from FMP
      CAPPER, George Head Married M 59 1822 Gen Lab Rugeley Staffordshire
      CAPPER, Sarah Wife Married F 56 1825 Cheddleton Staffordshire
      HAMMERSLEY, Samuel Step Son Widower M 26 1855 Butcher (Unemployed) Fenton Staffordshire
      HAMMERSLEY, George Grand Son Single M 2 1879 Fenton Staffordshire
      RG number:
      RG11 Piece: 2730 Folio: 67 Page: 37

Registration District: Stoke upon Trent Sub District: Fenton Enumeration District: Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish: Stoke upon Trent Municipal Borough:
      Address: 8, Green Street, Stoke Upon Trent County:
      Staffordshire

NOT THE RIGHT ONE!! :(
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 13-04-11, 14:28.

Comment

I think the one I've given you is the one you have discounted. Did you find this one in earlier censues?
        Margaret

Comment

I can see him in 1891 as married but living with parents. Have you checked in Scotland and Wales at all?
          Margaret

Comment

Just got back to this, I mistyped the baptism, it's 1857 not 87. I haven't checked Scotland or Wales specifically no, but he's not popping up on UK wide Ancestry searches. He was born in Burslem/Cobridge, Staffs. The censuses are:
            1861 - RG9; Piece: 1928; Folio: 106; Page: 2,
            1871 - RG10; Piece: 2858; Folio: 4; Page: 2,
            1891 - RG12; Piece: 2169; Folio 30; Page 2.

The Samuel born in Fenton is present with his mother Sarah and father Samuel in 1861 and 1871, and with his remarried mother in 1881, as you've spotted Margaret. I also can't find my Samuel after 1891, nor is there an obvious death possibility for him either. In fact the whole family are driving me nuts - of James and Thomasine's 13 children, 5 died in infancy and from the remaining eight I can trace only three! Urgh!

K x

Comment

Working...
            X