Your thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts please

For some time I have been trying to find a marriage between John Bowman and Ann. John was baptised in Tuxford, Nottinghamshire, 17 Jul 1775 and the couple had 6 known children five of which were baptised in Tuxford. The first child John born 1796 is the only one I can not find a baptism for. John and his wife stayed in Tuxford and were buried here.

I am as sure as I can be that they did not marry in or around Tuxford and I can not find a suitable marriage in Nottinghamshire. This makes me think that may be Ann was not born in Nottinghamshire.

There is a marriage between John Bowman and Ann Jenkinson 30 Jan 1797 Harthill, Sheffield, this is just over the boarder from Nottinghamshire and would seem to be the correct name and time span. A very nice lady looked at her records on Sheffield records online and was able to tell me that John came from Worksop (Nottinghamshire).

There are no deaths for Bowmans in Harthill, neither are there any births on igi for Bowman's in Harthill.

Do you think this is my missing marriage?

Sandra

I think it could be, Sandra....but I don't know if I'm basing my opinion on today's attitudes with car driving facilities. I know a few people from places like Tuxford & Worksop & quite a few (though not all) feel a greater affinity with Sheffield & South Yorks than with Nottingham & tend to go there for shopping etc. Sorry....a completely non-scientific answer !

Comment

I've got a lot of ancestors from Worksop and some of them moved to Sheffield but this was when I could trace them on census so I had no problem finding them.

This marriage is a possibility.

Can you find a birth or bap for Ann and see if she called any of the children after her parents.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

As they married after son John's birth, can you find a baptism for John Jenkinson that matches up?
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts -
          Grey I understand where you are coming from but as you pointed out it doesn't really help me (lol).

Lin - I have found Ann's baptism and her siblings and there are similarities in the names of the children. Ann's siblings were Alice, Elizabeth, Frances, George, Hannah Martha, Mary, Samuel and Sarah. Her parents were Robert and Mary. John and Ann named their children John, Mary, Hannah, Robert, William and Martha.

Ozgirl - I thought exactly the same as you and I have looked for a John Jenkinson born around 1796 but I can't find one that fits.

It's so frustrating - I am 90% certain that this is the correct marriage, but there is just that 10% possibility that it is wrong. I just need that final piece of the jigsaw.

Sandra

Comment

Lin - I have found Ann's baptism and her siblings and there are similarities in the names of the children. Ann's siblings were Alice, Elizabeth, Frances, George, Hannah Martha, Mary, Samuel and Sarah. Her parents were Robert and Mary. John and Ann named their children John, Mary, Hannah, Robert, William and Martha.

If you have Ann's baptism surely that tells you where she was born?? or am I being thick?
            Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

I know where Ann was born - my problem is, I have John Bowman in Tuxford Nottinghamshire married to an Ann (surname unknown) and no appropriate marriage in the Tuxford area. I am trying to establish if this is the correct marriage, if so then I have another branch or two to add to my tree.

Sandra

Comment

I would say that the marriage in Harthill is a possibility. I certainly have marriages in my tree that are further away than that, although it isn't exactly walking distance.

Just a thought, but have you been able to check for any non-conformist marriages? There is (was) a very strong methodist community around Tuxford and East Markham.
                Barbara

Comment

Hi Barbara,

No I haven't checked for a non conformist marriage. Do you have any idea how I would go about trying to explore this possibility?But, if they married in a Methodist church wouldn't the children be baptised at the same church?

Sandra

Comment

Here's the site for non-conformist registers http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/
                    Margaret

Comment

Sorry, Sandra...ignore my ramblings !

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                        No I haven't checked for a non conformist marriage. Do you have any idea how I would go about trying to explore this possibility?But, if they married in a Methodist church wouldn't the children be baptised at the same church?
                        If we are talking about 1797, that could be a tad early for a Methodist church in Harthill. The Genuki photo of Harthill Methodist Church looks like a late Victorian building.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No nonconformist marriages before 1837 (other than Quakers and Jews).

OC

Comment

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Eng...orical_Records)
                            This explains Non Com records

This is the UK search for Non Com Records as described in the previous link
                            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Edna

Comment

I believe many of the familysearch records indexed in Edna's link are available thru The Genealogist.

Does anyone know if there are London non-conformist registers that have not been indexed &/or are not available thru FamilySearch or Ancestry?

Sarah

Comment

Dr Williams Library http://www.dwlib.co.uk/ is a main repository for non-conformists archives so might be worth asking them.
                                Margaret
                                PS this page give details of registers http://www.dwlib.co.uk/dwlib/family/registers.html

Comment

The more I look at this one the more I think that the Harthill marriage is correct. I went to Sheffield archives on Thursday to see if I could find more information re the Harthill marriage but other than the witnesses there was no additional information. John is recorded as coming from Worksop that does not mean to say he was born in Worksop. He was a Wheelwright by trade so could have moved to Worksop (the nearest town)to find work. Worksop is approximately equal distance between Tuxford and Harthill and it is also possible that Ann was in service in Worksop. I know I am guilty of generating a scenario to fit the finding but at the same time I have been trying to disprove my findings - there are no births or deaths for any Bowman's in Harthill. If the couple had stayed in the village one would have expected births or and deaths. Also, as OC has stated that there were no non conformist marriage in 1797 this eliminates this possibility.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                                  X