Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone researching FORD or FRITH family of Chapel en le Frith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone researching FORD or FRITH family of Chapel en le Frith?

As mentioned in a previous thread, I have an old autograph book that belonged to my grandmother and amongst the entries is the following cartoon :-

It is by a J.G. Ford of Aldersryde, Chapel en le Frith dated 25 March 1914. It looks very professional and I wonder if he was a cartoonist?

There's also an entry from an A. FRITH, in 1915, also of Chapel en le Frith. Its fascinating as I am wondering if my grandmother worked in the area at the time. There are also names of people from Chorley too. Her family home was Doncaster so I'm wondering why she would be this side of the Pennines. She was possibly a gardener because I do know she later worked as gardener (maybe Head Gardener) for the Cadburys in Bournville.

Could Aldersryde in Chapel be a large house where she might have been employed?

I would appreciate some ideas on this and where I might start to find out my grandmother's whereabouts.

Joy

There is a J G Ford (Chapel en le frith) Ltd company on this link
    Explore the unique dynamics of the UK's business landscape with our comprehensive guide. Delve into the diversity of company listings, the strategic role of company directors, the significance of company credit reports, and the latest industry trends. Ideal for entrepreneurs, investors, and analysts seeking in-depth knowledge about the UK's vibrant company ecosystem.

but it has been dissolved. maybe you could check the phone books via ancestry?
    Angelina

Comment

IF you put the name of the house and chapel en le frith in to google it takes you to mouse prices - some serious money on maynestone road. sorry cant give you a link as my cut and paste is being silly.
      Last edited by angelina; 10-04-11, 20:47.
      Angelina

Comment

Thank you Angelina. I have googled and did notice what looked like a large house in some trees. I live not too far away so it might be worth me having a drive out there sometime but whether I dare knock on the door is another question. :D:D

Joy

Comment

again putting 'Aldersyde chapel en le frith' further down google page there is a book with names of ford and frith in it but its about 60 pages long so you will have to setle down for a read - its about the great and the good of chapel i think.
          Angelina

Comment

I would go and knock on the door but take someone with me as from what i remember maynestone road is not easy to navigate and your helper could help you get the car out!!!!
            Angelina

Comment

lol! Thanks for that Angelina :D I did notice a reference to a book too but I found you needed a code to open it up.

Joy

Comment

Can I suggest you get this thread transferred to the Research board? Then it can be picked up by google etc and interested parties might come across it.

Comment

I did wonder whether it was on the wrong board but it is more of general interest than serious research. Maybe a mod might move it for me?

Joy

Comment

Joy: try that book link again on google - it opened for me in word and said it needed a password so i just ticked read only and it opened fully - there are about 360 pages not 60 so a lot of reading!!!!
                    have you found your grandma in 1911 census yet?
                    Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                      Joy: try that book link again on google - it opened for me in word and said it needed a password so i just ticked read only and it opened fully - there are about 360 pages not 60 so a lot of reading!!!!
                      have you found your grandma in 1911 census yet?
                      Thats a lot of reading, lol!!! It'll take me a lot of wading through!!!!
                      I'm not sure if I did find her when I had some credits on 1911. Hopefully soon Ancestry will have the 1911 soon so I can start searching.

Joy

Comment

A very kind lady has looked my family up and can confirm that my Grandmother was still living at home in Doncaster in 1911.

Joy

Comment

I've moved it for you.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you Caroline

Joy

Comment

Angelina - I have trawled through that book, its taken me a few hours, on and off. :D:D

Its a fantastic history of Chapel-en-le-Frith and anyone researching that area would find it very interesting.

Unfortunately I didn't spot any reference to the Ford family that might have been of interest.

Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X