Charles Dufosee 1855 & family on 1891 Census - Bethnal Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Dufosee 1855 & family on 1891 Census - Bethnal Green

I am at my wits end trying to find the above on the 1891 census! Listed should be: Charles 1855 Mile End New Town, Spouse - Mary Ann 1851 - Bethnal Green , Children: Rose 1878, Charlotte 1879,Florence 1881,Eleanor 1882,Sarah 1884,Jane 1885, Charles 1887 & Annie 1890 with possibly an Ada Holmes/Dufosee 1872. In 1881 they're at 14 Willow Walk Bethnal Green & 1901 Mary Ann is a widow at 18A Newling Street Bethnal Green. She seems to have spent the remainder of her life along Newling Street dying Q4 - 1922 Registered Bethnal Green. Charles occupation is given as Cabinet maker. There is an 1891 Census for a Charles Dufour with a wife Mary & some children have similar names but there are many I don't have a record of & his occupation is Carpenter. I had thought this was them but I'm having my doubts. The surname is either transcribed or spelt in the original in so many ways which doesn't help. I have an inkling they may be found in Newling Street in 1891 but that's really a wild guess. Can anyone help?
    Thank you,
    Sue

I think a cabinet maker would have started out as a carpenter, progressing to cabinet maker when his skills were well honed. guess also that if the cabinet making dried up he could have gone back to working as a carpenter and described himself as that at the time.
    Have you trawled the images covering the street you are interested in?
    Margaret

Comment

I don't know if this information is any help, or if you already have it, but Charles applied for charity relief to the French Hospital London 'La Providence', whichwas set up to help the decendants of Huguenot refugees, in March 1898, aged 43, occupation Cabinet Maker, having at that point been ill for two years. They were unable to provide permanent support, but authorised 3 pounds from their 'poor box' to be sent to a Reverend W.Kimpson for his relief. A Herbert Dufosee, also a Cabinet Maker, had applied 15 years before in March 1883, aged 75, adress 53 Harman Street Shoreditch. He was refused entry to the Hospital twice, because on both occasions he was unable to provide any hard evidence of his French Huguenot decent. On the second occasion he even had a covering letter from the Earl of Pembroke testifying to his good charachter, but unfortunately still had to be refused, as the evidence of Huguenot decent is a required part of the admissions process, laid down in it's charter when the Hospital was set up on charity grounds back in 1718.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas Margaret. I've done addresses, just children, children & parents - every permutation I can think of but no luck so far.

Comment

Oh my word - I don't have this information Richard so thank you very much indeed. Poor old Herbert being denied support as he was unable to prove French Huguenot descent when it was the Earl of Pembroke brought Antoine Dominique De La Fosse over to Wilton in the early 1700's. Antoine is my 6th Great grandfather. Is there a site to link me to "La Providence" & it's archives? The family weren't very imaginative in naming their sons - Anthony, Anthony Charles & Herberts abound but I will try & sort them ny address. Thank you very much indeed.

Comment

Hello Marzipan Queen, La Providence does have a website : www.frenchhospital.org.uk, however most of it's archives are now held at the Huguenot Society www.huguenotsociety.org.uk. Regards, Richard

Comment

here you go Sue... 1891

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=char***&gsln=duf***&msbdy=1855&msbpn__ftp=L ondon%2c+London%2c+England&msbpn=85535&msbpn_PInfo =8-|1652381|3257|3251|5274|85535|&cpxt=1&catBucket=rs tp&uidh=lg3&=b%2c0&msbdp=2&cp=11&pcat=ROOT_CATEGOR Y&h=11049971&db=uki1891&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 261; Folio 30; Page 56; GSU roll: 6095371.

MISTRANS as Charles Dufour

theimage states his occ as Carpenter C.. which could mean craftsman which might also mean Cabinet maker? I suppose one way to eliminate this family is to see if you can find them in the 1901 census, though to me it certainly looks like this is the right family of yours.
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-04-11, 22:22.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Really appreciate the information Richard. Many thanks.

Comment

Ah thank you Darksecretz but this is the 1891 Census that I'd thought was the correct one until I saw there were children named I'd not seen before ie Robert 1879, Samuel 1880, Frederick 1881, Alice 1889 & Rachel 1890. I have the 1881 Census for the family & no Robert or Samuel nor can I find their births or deaths as Dufosee. Then I have the 1901 Census where Mary is a widow and none of these "mystery" children. BUT to add to the conumdrum is I have a son Charles Dufosee Baptised 25 Feb 1887 at St Thomas's Church, Bethnal Green & the address on the Baptism Record is 5 Queens Buildings which IS the address on the odd 1891 Census. I'm as sure as I can be that the children I have are spot on because there is a document in Alfred Dufosee's (1891 - 1915) military records listing all his living blood relatives & certified by the Minister of St Pauls Bethnal Green.Alfred's brothers & sisters all have the Christian names as on the 1881, 1901 & 1911 Census. The only names that completely match are father Charles, mother Mary & Ada (who varies between being named as Dufosee & Holmes). On the widow Mary's 1911 Census she's erroneously entered the number of children born & living as 12 which are the 12 I've got as pukka in my tree. It really is very confusing & I'm beginning to think there's been some mix up in the ennumerator's records! & that I'm not going to find Rose, Charlotte,Florence, Eleanor,Sarah, Jane, Charles or Annie Dufosee for 1891. According to an article in this months Who do you think you are magazine there were mistakes made & I think it's just my luck to have had it happen on this Census.Apologies for the long message but so many names

Comment

I wonder if some of the children had middle names that were used on the 1891 rather than the ones they used in earlier censuses. I have looked at the list and see 2 of the children match:-
                    Ada b 1872/3
                    Sarah b 1883/4

For the other children the years match for:-
                    Eleanor/Elizabeth b 1882
                    Jane/Fanny b 1885
                    Annie/Alice b 1889/90

Then there's these very odd mis-matches for the same years:-
                    Charlotte/Charles b1887
                    Florence/Frederick b1881

And finally the extras:-
                    Rose b 1878
                    Robert b 1879
                    Samuel b 1880
                    Rachel b 1890

As you say a bit of a mystery and quite a lot of mistakes for an enumerator to make. Given you know that Charles had to apply for help at some point could some of the 'missing' children have been elsewhere at the earlier censuses?
                    Margaret

Comment

Margaret,Thank you for using so much of your time over this Census & this problem mix of children. I'd done the cross reference of names & years of birth to see if I could fit them into the 1891 but it really would be curious if they suddenly & for one record only used middle names. Marriage certificates for the girls only give one first name & the death certificates I've found for some only use one name as does the Birth Index for those I've found. The Census is like the Curate's egg - good in parts! I think I shall have to stop going round in a whirl over 1891 & as much as it irritates me, leave it a mystery.

Comment

My thanks to everyone that spent time helping with my request. You've all been very kind and I've appreciated your comments & support.

Comment

Working...
                        X