No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me find John Blakemore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me find John Blakemore?

I am looking for any information about John Blakemore, as so far I can't find him on a census, or even find his marriage to Jane Bailey.

His daughter Hannah was born in 1842 in Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire, she was my husbands 2 x great grandmother. I found her living with her Grandparents on the 1851 in Ashford, Peter & Alice Bailey and also her sister Mary born 1840 in Cumberland.

I found her Mother Jane Blakemore living as a lodger nearby, possibly with her employer & his family on the 1851 census in Ashford, but no sign of John, so don't know where he was born or how old he is.

Any help gratefully received

Bev

FOR REFERENCE...........................

1851 England Census
    Peter Briley born abt 1778 Ashford, Derbyshire

living in Ashord Derbyshire

Household:
    Peter Briley 73 - head of household
    Alice Briley 61
    Mary Blakeman 10
    Hannah Blakeman 8
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 10-04-11, 17:45. Reason: Post edited. Please do not copy and past from sites such as Ancestry as it violates copyright. Thanks.

Comment

According to the new familysearch site, John and Jane were married at Manchester Cathedral on 29th July 1841:

This is the entry on FreeBMD; with that reference number, you can get the certificate from the GRO:

Marriages Sep 1841
      Bailey Jane Manchester 20 424
      Blakemore John Manchester 20 424
      BLEAKMORE John Manchester 20 424

This will give you John's age and occupation and his father's name.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-04-11, 12:41.

Comment

Superintendent Registrar,
        Register Office,
        Heron House,
        47 Lloyd Street, Manchester, M2 5LE
        Cert Ref : Marriage Certificate
        Manchester : CATH/21/317

Comment

According to Hannah's baptism entry, she was born on 16th October 1842:

but there isn't a matching birth entry in Derbyshire in that quarter.

There is this one, however:

Births Dec 1842
          Blakemore Susanna Bakewell 19 324
          BLEAKMORE Susannah Bakewell 19 324

and the Bakewell registration district includes Ashford in the Water.

Comment

This is Mary's baptism, so John and Jane were presumably still in Cumberland at the time of the 1841 census:

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Here they are in 1841, living in Salford, all born out of county:

John Blackmore 25
              Jane Blackmore 25
              Mary Blackmore 3 m.

They were in Cumberland 2 months earlier for Mary's birth and baptism (the 1841 census was taken on Sunday June 6th), and married in Manchester the following month.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-04-11, 13:39.

Comment

Wow, thank you so much for all your help Janet & Mary you are amazing

Bev

Comment

Can't see an obvious death for Jane or John, and I can't find an obvious candidate for John in 1851 or Jane after 1851.

I originally thought the John Rothwell Blakemore who died in Salford in 1858 might be John, but it isn't (that death relates to an infant).

Comment

I have tried searching for J B, in case either Jane or John was in prison or in the workhouse, but again I haven't found anything obvious.

Comment

I think your next step is probably to get the marriage cert, in the hope that we can make some progress with John when we know his father's name; there are really too many John Blakemores to be able to get much further at present without at least knowing his county of birth and a more accurate age (in 1841, ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, although they weren't always).

Comment

Thanks, I will order that tomorrow but know more than I did before with your help

Comment

Originally posted by Bev Nicholes View Post
                          His daughter Hannah was born in 1842 in Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire.
                          Ashford in the Water is now quite literally in the water, at the bottom of a reservoir.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            Ashford in the Water is now quite literally in the water, at the bottom of a reservoir.
                            Er, not unless it's disappeared since last Thursday, when I drove through the village.

It's just off the A6 between Buxton and Bakewell.
                            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Whoops!
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I received the marriage certificate this morning for John Blakemore and Jane Bailey. It shows his father as Richard Blakemore, occupation Leadminer same as his son. So fingers crossed it helps find where John was born......... any help finding anything would be most welcome

Comment

I can't find an obvious baptism for John, or an obvious candidate for Richard in 1841 or 1851, although of course he may have died before John and Jane married (it doesn't always say "deceased" on the marriage cert).

What ages are given for John and Jane in the marriage cert? Is her father's name and occupation correct?

Comment

Hi Mary, no it doesn't say deceased for either father, but its not always acurate. The ages are both given as Full Age, which doesn't help narrow it down much unfortunately. Jane's father is correct Peter Bailey, also a leadminer. Witnesses were William Bailey & Barbara Bailey so no clue for John Blakemore there!

Comment

What a nuisance. I've also looked for John in 1861, but the only one with a remotely similar occupation (shingler at iron works) isn't him, because he's already living with a wife and child in Shropshire in 1841.

Comment

Thanks for trying Mary, its much appreciated but I think he might remain a mystery for a while, but will keep looking. I have had more luck with Jane's parents and siblings, but would love to find her with John on a later census.

Comment

Working...
                                        X