This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Photo Gallery

Could somebody please give me step-by-step instructions on how to get updates for Windows Photo Gallery. When I try to open some attachments to emails I get a notice up saying they cannot be opened because I don't have the latest updates. I am using Vista.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Just checked and I do have the latest update but when I try to open the attachment in the email it says 'this file format is not supported' - what on earth does that mean?

Comment

What is the file extension of the file you are trying to open?
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine, what do you mean by file extension please?

Comment

Your files will have a "filename" - then a dot (full stop) - and then a file extension.
          The file extension tells you what sort of document it is.

For example
          filename.doc (Word document)
          filename.jpg (jpg image file)
          filename.ftm (Family Tree Mater data file)

- basically it is the letters which come after the full stop.
          Elaine

Comment

It is 44918037 (2).DOC

Comment

A "doc" file extension indicates it is a Word document - which you will need to open in either MS Office Word or something like Open Office.
              It is not an image and therefore will not open in Windows Photo Gallery.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. It is a form for me to fill in and return, that's all I know. If I can't manage it I will ask them to send it in the post, so no problem there. Thanks for your help though.

Comment

notepad or wordpad will read it . Save the attachment to your desktop then open wordpad ,click on file then on open, in the box that opens click on desktop on the left hand side then your saved attachment should appear , click on it and then on open.
                  Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                  http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

when you have filled in the form save it , reply to the email and drag the icon on your desktop onto the body of the email
                    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks to you too Mike, will have a try, if unsuccesful, will get them to send it by post. Cheers.

Comment

Stella, I use open office (free) or microsoft word viewer for documents in word. You can download them free.

Comment

Thanks Heather. I will remember that for the future. I got them to send the forms by post this time though. Thank you everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
                            notepad or wordpad will read it . Save the attachment to your desktop then open wordpad ,click on file then on open, in the box that opens click on desktop on the left hand side then your saved attachment should appear , click on it and then on open.
                            Although both programs will open it, if it is formatted with form boxes and outlined rules etc. then it will no longer be a form but just a mass of text

Linda
                            LindaG

Comment

Extra information

Sometimes an attachment will open in OpenOffice or Word (etc) as read-only. This means that (if it is a form) you can't fill it in on the computer but you can print it out to fill it in using your quill pen or the new-fangled pens with nibs. There IS a solution to this problem. You can also save it to your disk, and the saved version - no longer an attachment - should not have this limitation. So you can fill it in using your word processor and send it back as an attachment. If your writing is anything like mine, your correspondents will be grateful!

Comment

Thanks everyone, but I gave up and got it sent to me by post. Thank you all though.

Comment

Working...
                                X