I know it is a long shot but I am looking for my gggg grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it is a long shot but I am looking for my gggg grandfather

Through a contact finding a 2nd marriage for my ggg grandma Elizabeth Stowell (nee Jenkins) & getting the cert, I have discovered that her father was William Jenkins, an engineer.
    I had a look on Ancestry in 1841 for him, giving Cardigan Wales as a location, as that is where Elizabeth lists as her place of birth. I found 4/5 that would have been the right age, but don't have a sub to view the images. Can sks have a look & see if any of them is listed as being an engineer please?
    Lynn

Do you have any idea of his approximate year of birth Lynn?
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry I should have said that Elizabeth was born c 1810 Cardigan Town, so I put his dob around 1780
      Lynn

Comment

There are 6 William Jenkins in Cardiganshire born between the years of 1774 and 1791.
        The only one who isn't a farmer/labourer/servant is the following one.

William Jenkins 60 - occupation Pensioner - born Cardiganshire
        Avarena Jenkins 60
        living in the parish of Llanbadar Fawr
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, it looks like another dead end :( It could be him, but I was hoping that his wife would be called Catherine as that was what Elizabeth called her daughter.
          Lynn

Comment

Lynn - this is a long shot I know - but could the name 'Averena' who Elaine found in the census, have been heard wrong?

Maybe they said Catherina

Would an engineer have had some sort of pension available to him in those days? I think it would have been more likely than a farm labourer.

Just a few thoughts................I hope I don't confuse you.

Comment

That is an interesting point Val. I am not sure how many people would have bee "pensioners" back in 1841. You could well be right about the name, as they would have presumably had Welsh accents.
              Thanks
              Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
                That is an interesting point Val. I am not sure how many people would have bee "pensioners" back in 1841.
                Was wondering if maybe he had been in the Army at some point - could well have received a pension on discharge.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  There are 6 William Jenkins in Cardiganshire born between the years of 1774 and 1791.
                  The only one who isn't a farmer/labourer/servant is the following one.

William Jenkins 60 - occupation Pensioner - born Cardiganshire
                  Avarena Jenkins 60
                  living in the parish of Llanbadar Fawr
                  1851 census

Household:
                  William Jenkins 70 - Llanier Usha, Cardiganshire - occupation Out Chelsea Pensioner
                  Avereriah Jenkins 68
                  Senah Jones 18 - servant
                  Morgan James 50 - lodger

- living in the parish of Isa Yn Dre, Llanrhystyd, Aberystwyth
                  Elaine

Comment

That is interesting as Elizabeth's husband was with the Coldstream Guards, which might explain how she met him, coming from Wales
                    Lynn

Comment

The only William Jenkins born Cardiganshire I could find on the National Archives was this one:
                      The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

- but have no idea if the place of birth of LANBARDIBOUR matches up to what he has given in the 1851 census (as I can't find either on Google maps!)
                      Elaine

Comment

Very interesting. I can't look into it too much at the moment as the pc is playing up under my name & the laptop is really slow, but it certainly looks possible Thanks Elaine
                        Lynn

Comment

I have just been looking at this again & checking Genuki & Llanbadar Fawr is a place in Cardiganshire & if you look at the name on the military records Lanbardibour, & imagine a Welsh accent, then I could well see that they were the same place! I think that I might have to look at getting those military records. I could really do with a win on the lottery as there are some on FMP that I'd like to get as well :(
                          Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          X