The Mormon search site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mormon search site

Can't remember its proper name....but how reliable is it ? I'm thinking about a birth of a William Hudson at Shepshed, Leicestershire about 1800 (from the 1851 census...he'd moved from Shepshed by then). Haven't been able to find his birth through Ancestry etc. On the Mormon site there's a William Hudson born/baptised there 14 April 1800 (no church given), parents John & Ann & another born/baptised there (no church given) 29 June 1801, parents James & Ann. There are also 2 other entries...one for 1800 & one for 1801....with neither parents nor church.

The Hudsons I've traced back to this point vary between CofE & nonconformism....maybe they had differing convictions/maybe they didn't care & followed the wishes of their wives/maybe it was a question of the fees.

But what do you make of the Mormon entries ?

It's to be found at "familysearch.org" sometimes referred to as LDS Site ie, Church of the Latter Day Saints. The detail is as good as the transcribers could read it. Mostly good information but many will relate horror stories of their experiences. I'm a LanOPC transcriber and some of the writing is awful. If a Bride/groom cant read or write the names will be entered by the cleric based on what he thinks he heard, thus the variations in spelling of our names.

Comment

Thanks Alan. In the cases mentioned in my opening post, then, would the 2 transcriptions with parents' names be likely to be the same birth, then, with different transcribers reading the entry differently ?

Comment

It is important to remember that on Family Search or the Latter Day Saints site the records that are listed as "extracted" are taken from the old parish registers.
        The records listed as "submitted" are individuals submissions and may not be accurate.
        I would personally be happy to accept the "extracted" records but the "submitted" ones I would seek further verification on.
        If you are looking at marriage record in Scotland - remember that these are usually the contractual records prior to the marriage rather than the marriage itself - if the bride and groom live in different parishes then there will be 2 sets of marriage records and they my be a week or two apart.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you, herky

Comment

Additionally, you can request to view the film(s) in question: locate your nearest Family Center
            (https://familysearch.org/locations - it's not working well at the time I'm writing this!)
            and request the film. I believe there is a small shipping fee if the film is not in the Center you visit.

I agree with the above observations: just as family trees in Ancestry are not perfect, and should be verified with records, "submitted" records available in the original familysearch should also be verified. I have one that I'm trying to verify right now, but I'm grateful for a beacon that (probably) points the way.

I've had very positive experiences with transcribed records. They've given me information, but also guided me to the records I've needed. Thank you, indexers!

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
              It is important to remember that on Family Search or the Latter Day Saints site the records that are listed as "extracted" are taken from the old parish registers.
              The records listed as "submitted" are individuals submissions and may not be accurate.
              I would personally be happy to accept the "extracted" records but the "submitted" ones I would seek further verification on.
              If you are looking at marriage record in Scotland - remember that these are usually the contractual records prior to the marriage rather than the marriage itself - if the bride and groom live in different parishes then there will be 2 sets of marriage records and they my be a week or two apart.
              Correction only some "Extracted"records on the IGI are taken from parish registers.
              Others are taken from a variety of secondary sources such as "Gibson's Oxford Marriage Index".
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Looking at the 1851 and 1861 Census, a William Hudson is living with his mother Ann. Both show that this William was Blind at birth. Does this help at all with your research?

Comment

Have you used the old or the new LDS site?

I have looked on the old site, at William Hudson born April, baptised June 1800. It is an EXTRACTED record and if you click on "Source Call" at the bottom of the page, that tells you the information has come from the Parish records, so the record is likely to be correct, always allowing for errors of transcription etc.

OC

Comment

I think I've seen another thread of yours where you have some of the following but may be useful to look at it together. All the following are extracted Shepshed (the reason church is not named is that it was the parish church.

Baptisms of children of John Hudson and Ann
                    23 Nov 1777 Ann
                    27 Jan 1782 John
                    25 Apr 1790 Sarah
                    25 Apr 1790 Ann
                    14 Apr 1800 William

Marriage James Hudson = Ann Hutchenson 15 Oct 1792
                    Baptisms children of James and Ann Hudson
                    11 Aug 1793 James
                    29 Jun 1800 William
                    20 Apr 1803 Ann
                    3 Mar 1805 Mary
                    5 Jul 1812 Josiah
                    5 Jul 1813 William

Baptism John Hudson 30 Sep 1770 son of William and Dorothy Hudson

Marriage John Hudson =Mary Alt 29 Sep 1794
                    Baptisms of children of John and Mary
                    14 Oct 1798 - Thomas
                    4 Jul 1802 - Samuel
                    29 Jul 1804 -James
                    1806 - female
                    10 Jul 1808 - Mary

definitely 2 different Williams were baptised in 1800. William bp 14 Apr is either youngest son of John and Ann or misrecorded and should be son of John and Mary. Unfortunately the LDS don't record many burials as a look at burial records would probably help sort out whether the two Johns are one and the same (ie widowed and then married Mary) or whether the second John was the young man baptised in 1770.

If Josiah 1812 and William 1813 were younger children of James and Ann it looks like William bp 29 Jun 1800 died young.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have found that quite often the ORIGINAL record - that is the film of the original record - does show burials, particularly of children under ten, say, against the baptism record. The LDS do not normally transcribe burial records, so you do need to look at the originals.

As these are "P" records, that means it is a mixed set of records, which quite often includes burials as well. You need to identify the relevant film on the LDS site and then read the description to find out if burials were included on the original.

OC
                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 07-04-11, 11:30. Reason: clarity

Comment

Thank you everyone. Judith....found the marriages of John Hudson & Mary Alt & James Hudson & Ann Hutchinson, but couldn't find either of the William's births (except on LDS). Thank you very much. A fellow descendant told me that she'd heard from another descendant that "our" William was the son of John & Ann, so now I'm going to try & track the 2 Williams. Either the descendant is wrong & it was Ann & James, or , maybe, Mary Alt was, say, Mary Ann & sometimes called herself Mary & sometimes Ann

Comment

It looks like the one born to John & Ann in 1800 because, as you say, the first William born to James & Ann probably died. Maybe Mary Alt died soon after the marriage & John married an Ann ?

Comment

"that is the film of the original record - does show burials, particularly of children under ten, say, against the baptism record"

OC, This is very true.

In one case in my family the vicar also wrote the cause of death of two of my 2xg grandads siblings, against their entries, one a 12 year old boy 'kicked in the chest by a colt" and the other his 6 year old sister "died of a fever". This was the only instance anywhere in the register this was done, and I suppose it was because they died within a fortnight of eachother, and he thought this unusual enough to worthy noting the causes. I always check the original registers as you never know what juicy info, or unintentional error, may lie behind the surface of any given IGI entry.

Comment

Oh yes, you never know what little gems are lurking in the margin of a register, lol.

One of my favourites is

"Baptised Joe Bloggs, blah blah, posthumous child of Fred Bloggs and his wife Alice SO SHE SAYS."

Another comes to mind -

"Burial of Susie Snodgrass, blah blah, strumpet of this parish"

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                Oh yes, you never know what little gems are lurking in the margin of a register, lol.

One of my favourites is

"Baptised Joe Bloggs, blah blah, posthumous child of Fred Bloggs and his wife Alice SO SHE SAYS."

Another comes to mind -

"Burial of Susie Snodgrass, blah blah, strumpet of this parish"

OC
                                The clergy were not always as charitable as one might wish for someone with pastoral responsibilities!

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

STRUMPET OC !.....oh the shame of it.

Comment

I love those entries, OC.

Comment

OK....I may have an answer to what happened...I need to get the films of any possible burials..but it's not all that easy to say exactly where because John Hudson seemed to move around various villages on the Leics/Notts border...but, if anyone has any other hints, I'd be very grateful.

What I've got:

John Hudson marrying Mary Alt in Shepshed, Leics in 1794.
                                      William Hudson, son of John & Ann Hudson baptised in Shepshed in 1800 (can't find any other John Hudsons apart from the one mentioned above)
                                      John Hudson marrying Ann Jakes in 1801 in Sutton Bonnington, Notts (This is only just up the road from Shepshed) Ann Jakes was born in Sutton Bonnington...at the time of the marriage, John was living in Kingson on Soar....again JUST in Notts & very close to the other two places)

So it may have been that, sometime between 1794 & 1801 Mary Hudson/Alt died/left the scene for some reason (can't find a death). John fathered an illegitimate son by Ann Jakes & they married a year later. Two slight flies in the ointment (you'll probably find more)...Ann must have described herself as Ann Hudson at Willliam's baptism (not unusual) & John is described as a bachelor at his wedding to Ann Jakes (but, again, maybe that wasn't unusual, especially if he'd just left Mary, rather than her having died). Can't find John on the 1848 census, but I can find 2 or 3 Ann Hudsons who would fit.

What I need is proof (grrrr !)

Comment

Unlikely she would get away with calling herself Ann Hudson if she wasn't - the Vicar would have been quite particular about that in those days and it would have been known in the area if they weren't married.

You really need those burials....some monumental inscriptions might help a lot too, if they exist for the area.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X