Scotland 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland 1911 census

Anyone been on there and found their families?

Linda

Quality superb - better late than never . Ridiculous that GROS delayed the viewing until 100 years were up and on the day that they made them available put up prices by nearly 17% !!- and we are a virtual Tory free zone ! Bah !

Comment

Lots of success here and great to see the census records of family members that I remember.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Not quite the success I thought it might be. I looked for the OH's paternal grandfather and couldn't find him at all. I then looked for OH's family and found great granny, her new husband, their new child and 3 of her children by great grandad (2 of which I didn't know anything at all about !). We still had 5 children unaccounted for (including OH's grandad). One (the eldest daughter) was found in service near to where her mother and her new family was. 3 (1 boy and 2 girls), were found in England, the 2 girls together in the Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum (Orphanage) and the boy at St. Margaret's School in Bushey, Herts. My Oh's grandfather - nowhere at all.

From this I can only surmise that after OH's great grandad (who was a soldier) died in 1906, his wife had 8 children to look after, the youngest 6 months old. She probably couldn;t afford to keep all her children and sought the help of the army who sent some of the children to orphanages (the youngest 2 and the middle son stayed with her). She married again in 1909 and had a further child but the others did not come back from their various places. Quite sad really, certainly not the story I expected..

Comment

I agree the quality of he censuses are fantastic and just about found everyone apart from my great grandfather John Harrower - the family are all over the place. His wife and two children are with her parents and my grandfather Andrew age 9 is with his grandparents it's a strange one but really enjoyable

Steven

Comment

Nice that people have been lucky enough to find who they were looking for.

Linda

Comment

I'm a bit annoyed at the extent of the price rises at Scotlands People [almost 17% on line and 50% to book a seat at Register House]. Would be interested to hear other views.

Comment

My "Scottish" close family were all in India at the time!
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

How inconsiderate of them Uncle John lol

Linda

Comment

Having used the England Census for my English family connections for some time, I was hoping that when the Scotland census was released we did not have the price increase that we saw with the 1911 Census. I am pleased to find that although the costs have increased they are good value for the detail which they contain. I have been able to trace Grandparents in new locations in both Orkney and Shetland and so far have spent about £6.00 on credits.
                    Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                    I agree the quality of he censuses are fantastic and just about found everyone apart from my great grandfather John Harrower - the family are all over the place. His wife and two children are with her parents and my grandfather Andrew age 9 is with his grandparents it's a strange one but really enjoyable

Steven
                    Don

Researching: ANNAL (Orkney/Ontario) BILSTON (Worcestershire) CLARK (Shetland) HOLLOWAY (Worcestershire) RHODES (Worcestershire) WILSON (Orkney)

Comment

Originally posted by currie View Post
                      I'm a bit annoyed at the extent of the price rises at Scotlands People [almost 17% on line and 50% to book a seat at Register House]. Would be interested to hear other views.
                      Hi ,
                      I just thought I would like to mention that the increase in the price for a day a the Scotlands People centre is not as bad as it would appear. A few years ago the price was £10 for a half day and £17 for a full day, if my memory is correct.
                      When the centre was done up the price went down to £10 a full day. So now it is, at £15 a day, still less than I paid about 5 years ago.

It is still incredible value for money and well worth a visit.
                      Good luck with your research.
                      herky
                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                      X