A Carter, a Carrier, and a Porter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Carter, a Carrier, and a Porter.

These are occupations circa 1868 and although they 'carry or transport' things I wonder if anyone can explain the differences between them. I have also come across Master Porters and Master Carters but I'm a bit sceptical about these given that a Master Mariner could be a Ship's Captain.

In this respect "master" means working on his own account rather than being a "journeyman" working for and employer.
    My grandfather was a grocer employed in a shop in Lye but when he got his own shop in Hope St he called himself a master grocer
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

That's a useful bit of information Mike, thank you.

Comment

Actually, this rings a bell way back. I think there was actually a guild of Porters and carriers or they had to be licensed.

I guess so that someone knew their goods wouldnt disappear into the horizon with a dodgey dealer.

Have a google and you should find details.
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-04-11, 14:14.

Comment

I thought 'master' also meant that they employed other people - my husband's great grandfather was a 'master fish curer' and I understand he had a group of people all curing fish for him, probably on a piece rate basis.
          Margaret

Comment

A carter was in charge of a horse drawn cart. (could work on a farm, or delivering for a business, railway company etc.)
            A carrier transported people & goods by horse & cart, for payment.
            A porter transferred goods from one place to another - not necessarily by horse power (as in porters in the fish market/Covent garden etc)

There could be some overlap between all 3!

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Then there's the other sort of porter ie a gatehouse keeper.

Comment

From 'Genes'...Heather & Margaret I think one of you is credited with saying "Google everything"....alas on this occasion it wasnt much help. Not to worry, I come across the occupations so often, I wondered if there was much difference. Be Lucky.

Comment

Janet & Jill, sorry I missed your input, thank you.

Comment

I also think that in some contexts, Master meant that they could instruct an apprentice, either a formal apprentice or someone just learning the ropes.

OC

Comment

I have usually found that master meant they had a boy either as apprentice or helper.
                      Anne

Comment

Yes, I was the google queen on GR

Thing is, a master would have first served an apprenticeship himself. I cant see a porter or carter would need to do that. Thats why I wondered if it were a term relating to being licenced?

Comment

I think Janet has explained the words very well. The only change I would make is that of porter, generally a person who moves goods
                          by hand from place to place as in 'Railway porter'who used to carry your luggage (Do they still exist).
                          David
                          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                          X