X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Legacy Charting

This the first time I write to this forum, so be patient with me

I use Legacy Family Tree Deluxe 7.5.0.67

Yesterday I detached from an ancestor (ancestor1) a son with his descendents, and reattached to another ancestor (ancestor2),

brother of the first ancestor (ancestor1).

All right with Legacy.
    If I change from "Family" tab to "descendents" tab I see that all descendents are considered in the right manner, as they should be, both from ancestor1 and ancestor2.

The new family descendents lines are correct as they should be.

The problem:
    Now, I tried to chart descendents from ancestor1 (same thing from ancestor2) using the function Legacy Charting but, surprise, I see only the initial person with its wife instead of the complete descendent lines composed of more then 40 people (I configured family charting to see 10 generations).

If I choose a differente person other than ancestor1 and ancestor2, then Family Charting works well and all things are right drawing all the right people.

How can I resolve this heavy problem?
    Can You help me?

Bruno

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

I don't use Legacy but it sounds as if you need to check the relationships between "the son that you detached from one ancestor and attached to another! and his "new parents" - make sure they show as "father and son" and "mother and son"
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine ..Spain
      >Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Thanks very much for your welcome and for your answer.

>I don't use Legacy but it sounds as if you need to check the relationships >between "the son that you detached from one ancestor and attached to >another! and his "new parents" - make sure they show as "father and son" >and "mother and son".

Now I will see better if all the relations are as they shoud be, but as far as I can see now, all things seem to be right (within Legacy FamilyTree)

Within Legacy I can see that the son detached from ancestor1 appears now as a son of ancestor2.

The problem appears only when I use Legacy Charting, both opening it from Legacy, or launching it standalone and indicating the number of ancestor2.
      Furthermore, I cannot see a second son (and its descendents) of ancestor1 that I have not detached...

It may be a question to define some type of flag?
      The database is corrupted?
      Must I completely rewrite the family database (oh noooooo....)?

help me.. :-)

Bruno

Comment

Bruno, Like Elaine I don't have any experience of Legacy, but most programmes have mailing lists or user groups that you can sign up to, try looking under 'Help' when you are in your programme or look through the Legacy web site, they must have some kind of Forum where you can ask questions.

Sorry that I can't be more help

Margaret
        Margaret

Comment

Hello Rusty, thanks for your reply.
          Just yesterday in the late evening I received an answer from Legacy staff (thanks Jim!) and I have been able to repair my corrupted database :-), the cause of all my problems.
          I report here the instructions I received, because I think that this could be useful for other.

Thanks again to Elaine and to you.

Bruno

----quote----
          1. Please click on File on the menu bar and select File Maintenance > Check/Repair and proceed with the repair.

1. If any error messages occur during the Check/Repair process, click No in the error message box so that the repair steps can finish. Do Check/Repair twice if errors are found.
          2. If the program works, you can stop here. No further repairs are needed. If the program is still gives you errors, proceed with the following steps:

2. Export your records into a new Legacy family file:

1. Click File on the menu bar and select Export To from the file menu.
          2. Choose Legacy File from the submenu and proceed.
          3. Give the file you will export to a new name and click Save.
          4. The Export screen will open. Please click the large Start Export button. (If you get a message about sources, click Don't Assign a Source.)

Use the new family file and delete the old one when you are satisfied with the results.
          -----unquote-----

Comment

Glad that you got it sorted Bruno.

Margaret
            Margaret

Comment

Working...
            X