20th century censuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th century censuses

If I was to use the Freedom of Information Act to ask the powers that be for the details of me, my parents and my sister and my ex on censuses in 1961, 1971 and 1981 what (if anything) would I get to see? And how much would it probably cost me?
    These 3 censuses would be the ones that I should be included on as filled in by my Mum (most likely) and by my ex-husband.
    We never moved from the house where I was brought up so the address is the same for 61 and 71 and I still can remember the house no./street name and even the postcode for where I was living 9 months after marriage.
    Has anybody ever done this before and had any success?

Only professional people with a need to know may access census less than 100 years old. The FOI does not apply to census information as far as I am aware.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
      If I was to use the Freedom of Information Act to ask the powers that be for the details of me, my parents and my sister and my ex on censuses in 1961, 1971 and 1981 what (if anything) would I get to see? And how much would it probably cost me?
      These 3 censuses would be the ones that I should be included on as filled in by my Mum (most likely) and by my ex-husband.
      We never moved from the house where I was brought up so the address is the same for 61 and 71 and I still can remember the house no./street name and even the postcode for where I was living 9 months after marriage.
      Has anybody ever done this before and had any success?
      Census information (for census taken under the 1920 Census Act as amended) is exempt from the Freedom of Information Act.
      However census information is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 (as amended).
      This means that on payment of ten pounds you are entitled to view any information the Office of National Statistics hold on you.
      You are not entitled to view any information concerning others but your parents, your sister and your ex could all apply separately to view their own individual information.
      The Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 provides that
      “39 Confidentiality of personal information(1)Subject to this section, personal information held by the Board in relation to the exercise of any of its functions must not be disclosed by—(a)any member or employee of the Board,(b)a member of any committee of the Board, or(c)any other person who has received it directly or indirectly from the Board.(2)In this Part “personal information” means information which relates to and identifies a particular person (including a body corporate); but it does not include information about the internal administrative arrangements of the Board (whether relating to its members, employees or other persons).(3)For the purposes of subsection (2) information identifies a particular person if the identity of that person—(a)is specified in the information,(b)can be deduced from the information, or(c)can be deduced from the information taken together with any other published information.(4)Subsection (1) does not apply to a disclosure which—(a)is required or permitted by any enactment,”
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Many thanks Guy. I have a couple of further things occurred to me after reading your reply. My father died before the 1981 census and I have Power of Attorney for my mother's welfare now. Would these facts make me able to include either or both of them along with me? and also does living in Scotland now and at the times of the censuses make any difference at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Only professional people with a need to know may access census less than 100 years old. The FOI does not apply to census information as far as I am aware.

OC
          Thanks OC. That's a bit of a worry is it not? I can't freely get to see censuses but "professionals" with a "need" to know can. I hope that they couldn't do so without me being aware of their need before they went off looking!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            Many thanks Guy. I have a couple of further things occurred to me after reading your reply. My father died before the 1981 census and I have Power of Attorney for my mother's welfare now. Would these facts make me able to include either or both of them along with me? and also does living in Scotland now and at the times of the censuses make any difference at all?
            Having Power of Attorney would allow you to make a DPA enquiry on your mother's behalf.

As you father is dead the DPA does not apply to any information concerning him. This means you would not be allowed to view any information concerning your father.

Living in Scotland does not make a difference under the DPA.
            Cheers
            Guy

Comment

Galloway Lass

I think professionals with a need to know would be medical genealogists, solicitors and so on, people who REALLY needed to access information about one particular person or family. I don't think they are allowed to trawl the census willy nilly, nor would they be allowed to look just out of interest's sake.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Galloway Lass

I think professionals with a need to know would be medical genealogists, solicitors and so on, people who REALLY needed to access information about one particular person or family. I don't think they are allowed to trawl the census willy nilly, nor would they be allowed to look just out of interest's sake.

OC
                The only people (other than the statisticians) who may be granted access to the "personal information" are police (i.e. people undertaking a criminal investigation or criminal proceedings (whether or not in the United Kingdom),the Intelligence Service and anyone who obtains a court order to do so.

There is no access to doctors, lawyers, etc. as a matter of course.
                Cheers
                Guy

Comment

Well that's really what I meant, Guy, that only the statutory bodies like Police would have automatic rights to view census - everyone else on a (compelling legal) need to know basis.

OC

Comment

Thanks both for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                    X