stafford derbyshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stafford derbyshire

this my first post so please bear with me. trying to find the birth certificate for samuel edward stafford born abt 1875 in new mills derbyshire.
    I know the following
    1)he married charlotte sweatmore on 13 march 1897 and gave his fathers name as Edward Stafford on marriage certificate.
    2) in 1891 census he is living in new mills with his sister margaret ann stafford and her daughter mary hannah RG12 piece 2787 folio 6 page 7
    3) I found him in 1881 census RG11 piece 3464 folio 64 p13 living with his mother mary stafford aged 40 his sister margaret aged 10 and other sister sarah a stafford aged 20 and the landlord Edward Louns.

I have looked on freebmd, ancestry, family search but cant find a definitive birth for samuel edward stafford in 1874-1876. I have tried looking for samuel stafford and also edward stafford in this area. but i cant find the right one.

i have bought the birth certificate for his sister Margaret to try to find out herfathers name but none is given.

I do have to warn you though that New mills is a nest of Staffords and there are millions of them.

I think the fathers name of Edward may not be right and it may infact be Stephen Stafford who ends up in Bakewell as a shoemaker but not with wife Mary (mother of Margaret Sarah and Samuel Edward).

But i am stuck so any ideas would be gratefully received.
    thankyou for reading this.
    Mick
    Ps i have to go out now so will be back online later.

Mick

WElcome to FTF.

Not really found much but New Mills registration comes under Hayfield. There are 3 Samuels births there Sep 1873, Mar 1878 and Jun 1878.

Not really much help but that is all I can find.

Just be a bit cautious of the father on Marriage Certs as they are often made up so the inlaws don't know they were illegitimate.

Can you find a marriage for an Edward Stafford to a Mary or Mary Stafford on an earlier census. This will tell you if she is married or not
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

hello Mick,

do you know who edward evans is? I have found mary in 1871 mistranscribed but there is an Edward evans stopping with them

Mary Staffen 30
      Sarah Staffen 10
      Margt Ann Staffen 1 Month
      Edward Evans 31

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3649; Folio: 21; Page: 5; GSU roll: 841855.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

but hang on a mo, this Edward Evans.. is a labourer in 1871.. and from shropshire.. the same as Edward Louns.. I'll bet that his name has been mistrans on the 1881 census and its the same guy!
        Julie

Comment

ok, have now found her in 1861 with hubby Stephen.. and daughter Sarah..

Stephen Stafford 21
          Mary Stafford 21
          Sarah Ann Stafford 2 MO

hmmn then this gets interesting.. I cant find a death for Stephen but in 1871 she is calling herself a widow, but then its crossed out and head put in.. did he leave her and marry bigamosly?
          Julie

Comment

hi lin thank you for snwering my query on stafford's it gives me some thing to work on. mick.

Comment

hi julie. thank you for helping with my query on stafford's i can now follow it up. mick

Comment

hi julie youe a star , you did in 12 hour's what i failed to do in 12 month's,what you found add's up it look's as if samuel edward stafford's father was in fact edward evans, and mum mary stafford, still can not find samuel edward's birth in about 1875 hayfield ,new mills ,derbyshire. i did find steven or stephen stafford in bakewell derbyshire in the 1871 census rg 10 piece 3632 follio 50 page 2. also in 1881 in bakewell rg 11 piece 3448 follio 74 page 27,it looks as if he did a runner. once again thanks you for your kind help . ps stephen's d o b,place of birth,and occipation all add up in 1871 and 1881census mick

Comment

Hello Mick,

you might not find Samuels birth cert but you should find a baptism, although it was given that births should be registered alot of people didnt bother, it wasnt until 1875 when they really tightened up and began fining people for not registering their childrens births that more people actually did actually register the births, so it might be that his birth wasnt registered but their should be a baptism, the most likely place to begin looking will be New Mills, the actual records should be at Matlock record office,

you might find this site helpful, I have linked it to New Mills, St. George, these people sell cd's of parish records, so it might help

hope you have some more luck :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

Working...
                  X