The first name of Lyne for a boy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first name of Lyne for a boy?

Just discovered a new ancestor born in the late 18th century in Shadwell - parents Francis Hanson, mariner (my 4xGGF )and wife Ann. But I was surprised this was a boy - poor little devil died at the age of 2, given same first name at the burial, so obviously not a mistake.

Seems most unusual and I cant find much on it. Anyone got a Lyne?
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-04-11, 11:55.

Distantly connected, but not related I have a William Lyne CRAGG......b.1865 in Sompting, Sussex.
    He was the first husband of someone who married into our family after his death.

Like you, I'd not heard the name before.

Gwyn

Comment

I know a chap called Lyn but like you I had never heard a man called this, before I met my friend.

Comment

I had a distant relative in Wales called Lyn, who played rugby for his country, but I hadn't thought of the 2 names being similar until now.

Comment

It's about time you fed those lovely dogs Heather, they've probably got stiff necks by now. Transcribing as I do, I am now never surprised with the Christian names people gave their children but to the parents I assume the name is sincerely intended.

Comment

Heard the name before, my ex MIL was married to a Lyne.
            Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Heather, I would imagine that Lyne was a surname in the family and given as a first name out of respect for that family member, or maybe for an inheritance, lol!

As half my lot are Scottish, I am well-used to odd surnames used as first or middle names.

OC

Comment

Well, the interesting thing is, Ive been trying to trace a George Robert Hanson as I noticed someone on ancestry in the US has taken on all my hanson line but I cant see why on earth they have. Ive contacted them and they said they have a George Hanson, a ship builder, in 1850 in Milwaukee (or somewhere!) who it was believed came from England. Based on that, they have added all the Hansons as ancestry.

However, Ive now put my attention to the Hansons again and having found a few more kids baps in wapping - including poor little Lyne above. Ive been looking for what happened to George (a brother of Lyne) and I found this in the 1841: Look at the names of the people he is lodging with. Dad was a mariner/waterman and as I know from my watermen/lightermen, they are quite incestuous and very very often give surnames as first or middle names. Whilst thes people are not watermen, it may well be, like George Hanson, dad was.

George Hanson
                Age: 30 (he would have actually been 32/33 - but the 41 gives age rounded down)
                Middlesex, England

St Giles in The Fields
                Middlesex

George Hanson 30
                Wm Lyne 40
                Ann Lyne 30
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-04-11, 11:56.

Comment

So they could have been relatives or a much thought of neighbour!

OC

Comment

Well, Lyn isn't an uncommon man's name in Wales, so this could be just a misspelling (or a surname as suggested upthread). I have a friend named Michele, because her parents didn't know that it normally had two "ls" or maybe it's one of those names that gradually came to be given to one sex only....Marion could also be a man's name at one time (wasn't John Wayne named Marion something or other ?)

Comment

vivian is a mans name with the feminine, not sure bout marion. lyne would be a surname i imagine, and there is a place called ashton under lyne in lancs i think it is?

Comment

We have a Lyne Edwin Thomas Cole, whose mothers maiden name was Lyne - I would have pronounced it LINE rather than LYNNE. For some reason he was commonly known as Ben.

Di
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Just looked it up & John Wayne's real name was Marion Michael Morrison

Comment

I have relatives christened Woodman Woodman because way back a great aunt Woodman had a bob or two!

DI

Comment

Working...
                            X