X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katherine Mary Hamon

After such quick success with one of my dead ends I wonder whether the next
    one can be cleared up as quickly.
    I am looking for a great aunt of mine who died in Canada (presumably)
    She was born Katherine Mary Hartwell in 1884, married 7 June 1909 in Montreal
    to George Alexander Hamon. Children were Donald George (1910-1994) and
    Robert James (1911-1999). At the time of Georges death in 1928 (did himself
    in) they were living in Welland Ontario. Donald died in London Ontario and Rob ert
    in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I have put these places in because I have no idea what happened to her after her husband died in 1928.
    David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Ontario has a very active genealogical society:

They have also "read" many cemeteries, and have an index on line for them:

Comment

Have recently unsubscribed from Ontario groups after 5 years of getting all my Canadian information except the one for Katherine.
      The cemetery listings have not been updated since 1998.
      David

David

Comment

Hi David,

This is not going to help you very much, but I did find them on ancestry.ca returning to Canada after a visit home.

Mrs Katherine M. Hamon, 45 yrs, widow
        Robert J. Hamon 8 yrs
        Address : 272 Emerick Avenue, Bridgeburg, Ontario
        Arrived 15 September 1929

bcbrit
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

....and David, after returning home to Ontario after her trip, she could well have remarried - so I imagine looking for the whereabouts of young Robert J Hamon would be the easier way to go.
          He possibly enlisted for WW2?

Comment

Val,
            Thanks for the input. Yes I had thought of that but as you probably realize the Canadian privacy act stops an awful lot of research in its tracks. Enlistments
            in the armed forces (unless dead due to war causes) come under this umbrella as well as BDM's (deaths with a 75 year embargo) and unless you are a direct
            relative of the person in question you haven't got a hope of getting any information out of them. The curse of genealogists it is.
            I tried for about 5 years on a Canadian gen site and didn't get too far. I hired a professtional researcher and he came up against the same barrier.
            Haven't got too much on Robert James (he died in 1999) and was lucky to get that from an obit in a Winnipeg newspaper. His elder brother worked for the
            National railways prior to the war (plenty of hits on border crossings), finished up as a public servant, and once again managed to get some info from an obit.
            I will eventually have to see if there is an obit for her in a newspaper but I am a bit stymied as I do not know whether they shifted from Bridgeburg (Port Erie)
            after father died in 1928 (used his trusty cut throat in the chook house - what a way to go).
            Have really just about come to a dead end, or may I say a dead end caused by restrictive officialdom.
            Cheers David

David

Comment

Working...
            X