no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no sound

I have been having trouble with wifi and today decided to uninstall and then reinstall the wireless adaptor. I saw something with the name Realtek and as that was the name the adaptor shows up as I uninstalled it. However I now have no sound and I remember that the Realtek thing mentioned sound,so it looks as though I have uninstalled the audio device.If I do system restore will I get it back? Will that mean that I will have to reinstall the adaptor? Or is there something else I can do? Step by step please!
    Fran

Fran you can download the latest drivers from Realtek from here ;;

borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I have been on that site,but it wants to sell me something called Driver Navigator before it will let me download the Audio Driver.I will have to look further tomorrow.Thank you for your help.
      Fran

Comment

Fran try this one

And also depends what your system is XP windows vista or windows7
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I've tried that one and it seems to be the same sort of site ie you have to download some sort of programme which identifies what sort of drivers need updating and /or installing.Then they ask you to register,asking for a registration key,whatever that is.As I don't know what the registration key is I cannot go any further.Thanks anyway
          Fran

Comment

Realteks generic audio downloads are available here

BUT......
            The first thing is to identify what soundcard that you are using, as these are more often using a purposely built audio driver.
            This is normally an onboard sound chip, which is part of the motherboard, so we would need to know what board is in your computer.
            What is the make/model of the computer, so i could look that up for you?
            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 03-04-11, 21:39.

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor,The computer was made for me a few years ago so I don't have a make.I have looked all round it and can only see a product number.I have XP Home,Service pack 3.Is this enough information? Thanks for the reply.
              Fran

Comment

Was asking so I could look up the Motherboard and so the sound chips on it, but as it has been made for you, the only way would be for you to open it up and look inside, which is out of the question.

Have you tried the link to RealTeks generic drivers I pointed you towards?

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Use this site's scanner to find out what Audio is on your system.
                  It will ask you to register if you want to download from them, don't worry, just let me know what sound it says you have and I'll look up what you need

Researching:

Comment

I have been on Driver Agent but it just says on the list after the scan-
                    ?Other Devices
                    ?Audio Device on high definition audio bus.
                    I have tried two other sites; Driver Detective says-Windows is reporting the following information-Motherboard series Socket 754,Motherboard Model K8NF6P-VSTA
                    Driver Navigator says;
                    Machine custom,XP home ed.(32-bit),Processor AMD Sempron 2600+,Motherboard K8NF6P-VSTA

Comment

Your motherboard is made by ASRock
                      The drivers for your RealTek sound chip can be downloaded from here
                      Socket 754 for AMD Athlon™ 64 and Sempron processors; NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 or GeForce 6150SE / nForce 430 Chipsets; Chipset capable to FSB 1000 MHz (2.0 GT/s), Hyper-Transport Technology, AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Technology; Supports DDR400/333/266 with 2 DIMM slots, maximum capacity up to 2GB; Integrated NVIDIA GeForce6-class graphics DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0, Max. shared memory 256MB; 1 x PCI Express x16 slot; Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses; Hybrid Booster - ASRock Safe Overclocking Technology; 4 x SATA2 3.0Gb/s, supports RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, JBOD, RAID 5), NCQ and Hot Plug functions; 7.1 CH Windows Vista™ Basic Level HD Audio (ALC883 Audio Codec), 10/100 Ethernet LAN; Windows Vista™ Basic Logo Ready; HD 8CH I/O: 4 ready-to-use USB Ports, HD 7.1 channel audio jacks

Doenload the zipped file
                      Unzip it (Choose Extract files) to your desktop
                      Run the setup.exe file

This will install all yoiur drivers etc for your sound

Researching:

Comment

Fran, if you need info on your system in future, I can recommend Speccy, which is a simple utility from the same makers as CCleaner.
                        Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

I went on that site and saw a driver listed which said Realtek so I presumed that that was the one to download as a zipped file,chose extract files and I now have an icon on the desktop.The only thing is I don't know what to do next.How do I get to run setup exe file? Sorry to be a pest.
                          Fran

Comment

Lorry53, Thank you for that.I am a bit of an ignoramus as far as the workings of a computer are concerned!
                            Fran

Comment

I agree it is a good utilitie, but be warned, it will also install Google Chrome web browser without even asking you
                              Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
                              Fran, if you need info on your system in future, I can recommend Speccy, which is a simple utility from the same makers as CCleaner.
                              And I've fixed Fran's problem via a phone call with her

Researching:

Comment

Thanks again to those who replied, and especially to Trevor who solved my problem.
                                Fran

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                                  I agree it is a good utilitie, but be warned, it will also install Google Chrome web browser without even asking you
                                  Trevor, I've downloaded Speccy to three different computers and it's always asked me whether I want to install Google Chrome, so I just uncheck that option.
                                  Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
                                    Trevor, I've downloaded Speccy to three different computers and it's always asked me whether I want to install Google Chrome, so I just uncheck that option.
                                    It was a comment for those who do not look at the notices and options and just click on install

Researching:

Comment

try restore

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                                        It was a comment for those who do not look at the notices and options and just click on install
                                        Ah, right. It was the "without even asking you" that threw me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X