Francis & Jemima Redfern (Redfearn) nee Ashton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis & Jemima Redfern (Redfearn) nee Ashton

Hi All, I hope I've placed this in the right place...if not, apologies...This is my first ever post! I have a brick wall with this part of my Redfern (or Redfearn as it's sometimes spelt) family. Jemima Ashton b 1764 Winster, Derbys to Samuel Ashton and Lydia Hibbs, married Francis Redfearn Winster 1787. They have 6 children whilst in Winster and sometime after 1800 they move away. There are no other marriages or deaths for this family in Winster. 2 of the children Stephen and John, marry and live in Belper but cannot find any other info or deaths for either Francis or Jemima and the other children Samuel, Joseph, Abraham, Lydia. Francis didn't come from Winster so no info on his parents either. Would be grateful for any help from anyone kind enough to point me in the right direction. Thanks Lanny
    Last edited by lanny; 02-04-11, 18:42.

Welcome to FTF, Lanny, if no-one has said that already... in fact, Welcome, anyway!

May I recommend that you put surnames in upper-case, instead of mixed case? It makes it much easier to spot whether or not it's a family that overlaps with your own research (so be able to offer specific help), and also makes sure that people don't mix up Christian names with surnames (think how many surnames there are like ARTHUR, JAMES, DAVID, ...!).

In the meantime, I'll be having a play to see if I can spot any likely avenues of research.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There doesn't seem to be anything that early for that area on the IGI - I'm impressed that you have so much detail! I gather you must have been to the records office / archives?

Have you tried locating any possible Wills? Apprenticeship records?

I have to admit that I'm a lot less expert at going back earlier than 1837, tho' I have had some notable successes.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Thank you so much for replying Christine...I'll have to remember your tips when placing Q's in the future...I have been searching this family for a long time but can't seem to get any further. Not actually been to the archives but came across a site that researches Winster and its history. The person who administers the site was the one who passed the info to me about the family. Run dry since, but thanks for trying.

Lanny

Comment

There is a Lydia Redfearn marrying in Oct 1848, Teesdale, Durham which is a possible; Try FreeBMD
          Also a Samuel Redfearn in 1841 English Census age 49 born Derbyshire 1792 living in Eccleshall Bierlow (Nr Sheffield, I think). Problem you have is that the surname is very popular in this part of the country and more detail is required to narrow the Search.
          If you havent tried the free 14 day trial with Ancestry.co.uk, may I suggest you consider it . Good Luck
          Last edited by AlanC; 04-04-11, 17:20. Reason: More Information

Comment

I recently found my grandmother's family tree, her maiden name was Robinson, her father, George Mardsen Robinson married Sarah Redfern. this Sarah was the daugher of a Joseph Redfern and Sarah Rutter Greaves and it looks like he was born at Greenhill, Derbyshire, near Sheffield. My grandmother was born in about 1882 and Joseph was her grandfather so he could have been born around 1800 give or take 20 years? She has a note here that she never met him as he had died but that he had red hair and was a stone mason. Could this be the Joseph you refer to? My name is Robert Ogram and I live in western Canada. My grandmother came as a nurse from Sheffield area and, while nursing in Saskatchewan, Canada, met my grandfather who had come from Yorkshire. I have just been in England and Yorkshire and found my great-great grandfather's grave in North Dalton near Driffield but did not have time or energy to go to Sheffield to look into the Robinson's or Redfern's histories. Hope this is of interest.
            Robert Ogram

Comment

Thank you for all the response it is very much appreciated. Robert and Alan, I'm going todo my best to explore all the people you have mentioned and see what I can find out so thank you for all the info.
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Lanny, welcome

Just reading through your post I did wonder if any of the family had been in the Army as they seemed to move around.

This was just a thought that popped into my head and probably has no basis, but it is an avenue to consider.

Comment

Hi Lanny,

I believe Francis REDFERN and Jemima ASHTON's daughter Lydia married Robert TOMLINSON on 08 April 1823 at Prestbury, Cheshire, England. I have seven children for Robert and Lydia - Jane, William Francis, Mary Ann, Jemima, Richard, Samuel Redfern, and Lydia. William Francis TOMLINSON is my 3rd great-grandfather. The mother, Lydia, died 3 October 1839 in Macclesfield, Cheshire. I would be happy to share more info on this family with you. Thanks, Palr2007

Comment

Hi palr
                    Lanny hasn't been on to the site for about a year. You could try sending her a private message by clicking on her name and then clicking on Private message. If she has her setting set to receive e-mail notification she will know that you are looking for her.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Parl, Many thanks for your post, and I received your message, and I hope that you too have recieved my reply. I must say that I am delighted to receive this information about Lydia Redfern, especially after all the years of searching it is also an exciting development for my tree, allowing me to clamber up that brick wall! Kind Regards and Thank you

Comment

Good news, Lanny.

It's always a bit worrying/disappointing when someone turns up with great news for a researcher, but they haven't been around for a while. We don't know if they'll pick up the fact that the new info is there, so it's great to see you've been in touch and made this great new link!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                        X