Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Leat, Drum Major, Royal Marines

Good Evening,

I am searching for details of the birth of Kate Leat who married Frederick Luckman in Bath in 1860. Her father is quoted as John Leat, Drum Major. She has given her date/place of birth as 1835/Stonehouse or Plymouth in census records from 1861 to 1911.

There is no Kate Leat in the baptismal records for the 'Plymouth 3 Towns', but there is a marriage of a John Leat to a Mary Weeks at Plymouth St Andrew on 16/7/1822.
    The only baptism I can find is of Elizabeth Leat in June 1823, with the father being a Royal Marine Corporal. Elizabeth died 6 months later.

I have also found census records for 1841 - 1871 for Mary Leat with daughters Mary, Caroline & Emily & son John. The mother Mary is shown as a widow in 1851 and thereafter.

I have an unsubstantiated hunch that this Caroline is my Kate Leat, only for the reason that one of her daughters was christened Kate Caroline and the mother's death is registered as Kate C. Luckman.

I have assumed that the lack of baptismal records in the Plymouth area for this family was due to being posted to other Marine Barracks at Portsmouth, Chatham or Woolwich and indeed, the daughter Mary claims to have been born in Woolwich in the 1851 census. However, the other children claim to have been born in Stonehouse/Plymouth.

I have also seen an old (2008) Rootschat posting referring to the marriage of an Emily Leat, daughter of Drum Major John Leat.

I have been unable to find any Royal Marine Service Record for John Leat, but I have found a death of a John Leat, registered at Alverstoke, Hants in Q1/1851. Alverstoke was the Reg. District in which the Marines Portsmouth Barracks would sit.

I would be extremely grateful if any subscribers could provide me with some assistance in finding some further positive information about John Leat and his family. I estimate that John was born about 1790 and died before April 1851 when wife Mary first declared her widowed status.

Kind regards, John Bennett

I wonder if anything at the Marines museum might help?

Comment

I have moved your thread to our Research Qs & As forum.
      The Research Requests forum is basically for specific lookups at specific Records Offices, Libraries etc.
      Until you know exactly what and where you need something from then it's probably better off in the general Research forum.
      We can always move it back at a later date when you have something more specific!

Hope someone can come up with some ideas for you.
      Elaine

Comment

By googling, I've just found a reference, on the Knightroots (Hants OPC) site, to James LEAT, 28, Sgt RA - possibly a sibling of Kate's - marrying in Malta in 1897

But that doesn't get you very far with your quest, I'm afraid.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have been unable to find any Royal Marine Service Record for John Leat, but I have found a death of a John Leat, registered at Alverstoke, Hants in Q1/1851. Alverstoke was the Reg. District in which the Marines Portsmouth Barracks would sit.
          Might be worth asking "Punch's Mum" on the Research Offers board, if there's any chance that she could have a look for the burial. She does only Alverstoke records, so you may be in with a chance, especially as you have a narrow date-frame.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X