emigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emigration

Can anyone tell me if there's a reliable way of checking if someone emigrated from England to Canada after 1911?

There are passenger lists available on both Ancestry and FindmyPast.
    Also using the Ancestry worldwide subscription you may find your ancestors in some of the 20th century databases which are available.
    Elaine

Comment

Are you looking for someone in particular? If so give us some names and we'll see what we can find, if anything!
      Elaine

Comment

You can open FMP and go to the emigration lists, key in a name and at least see if your person of interest is there. If so it is then up to
        you to either buy credits or join to get the full details.
        David
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Yes. My grandfather, John Herbert Best (born 1880 in Holbeck, Leeds) , is said to have abandoned his family ( including my mother, Constance Atkins, nee Best)following a fling with a shop assistant in Leeds, where he and his family lived.Then, family stories put him on Tyneside, in Canada and various other places.In fact his life is well-documented up to the 1911 census when he is still living in Leeds with his wife, my gran Mary Hannah, and three children, working as a clerk in a butchers's shop.Then he disappears off the radar (or at least, my radar.) That he did do a bunk seems reasonably clear, since my grandmother went on to have two more children with blank spaces under "father" in 1919 and 1923 ( the second still alive and living in Leeds, aged 88) apparently fathered by a "Mr. Brown." I'm just wanting to check out the "went to Canada" story. I was going to upload a pic of him so you can see what a dapper old charmer he was, but I don't know how, being a newby.
          Last edited by Kevin Atkins; 01-04-11, 05:55.

Comment

Many thanks, grumpy David. What's FMP?
            Kevin.

Find My Past, of course, silly old fool ( me, that is!)

Kevin
            Last edited by Kevin Atkins; 01-04-11, 09:42.

Comment

Hello Kevin: I found a greatuncle in Canada partly through findmypast - but also from the Canadian Immigration records which I found available online free. So I had records from both ends.
              Also (for anyone else interested) Canadian 1911 census, and Montreal old telephone books, all searchable. Then I found a descendant who has confirmed everything I found! - Alison

Comment

Thanks, er, do I call people by their username, "Frodsham 70" or "Alison?" I'll certainly give the immigration records a try. Which bit of Findmypast did you search?
                Kevin

Comment

Hello Kevin. I'm Alison.
                  Calling people by name? Depends. If they sound formal, I don't at first...usually after they have answered me. But you gave your name so I used it.
                  Try : http://www.findmypast.co.uk/migration.jsp , but unless you join or pay (as someone said) you only get a taste. I'm not on fmp any more or I would do a lookup. Try asking.
                  I'm fairly new here, but there's a section for that, isn't there - Alison

Comment

People have to be careful about look-ups. In many cases the source sites (or CD creators) would regard that as a breach of their T&C, since their potential revenue is being diminished (tho' it was exactly such look-ups that got me hooked on Ancestry, for which I had an active membership for two or three years).

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Any information I may have passed on has been done privately! - Alison

Comment

Thanks, Alison

I don't think we have any intention of policing what people do privately ;) - just that the site has to be careful about other people's rights, and other readers of the thread might have needed a reminder.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Kevin,
                          try navigating around the link, it should eventually get you to the Canadian immigration records and most importantly they are free.

David
                          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                          X