Suffolk baptisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk baptisms

I am trying to find birth details for my great-great-grandmother, born ( according to several later census entries) Lydia Rogers in Brandeston, Suffolk in 1821. There are no baptism details in the usual commercial websites or Freereg. Anyone got any ideas? The parish registers are apparently in the National Archives in Ipswich. Kevin.

There is someone on Rootschat offering to do lookups of Brandeston PRs (from fiche)

If you haven't used Rootschat before, you will need to register but it's free.

... by the way, welcome to Family Tree Forum.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Elaine. I've registered and posted a request on Rootschat. Thanks for the welcome, too.
      Kevin

Comment

Her baptism is on the LDS pilot site along with 3 siblings. I've tried to post a link on here but unfortunately it doesn't work.
        Moggie

Comment

Well done Moggie. I didn't think to look there!

Here is the link Kevin,
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Siblings are
          Sarah christened 21 Jan 1825
          William christened 28 Dec 1817
          John 27 Dec 1813
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks everyone. It's the first time I've used a genealogy forum. You are awesomely efficient. Just one thing: What's LDS and what's it's pilot site? When I click on the link and look at great-great-grandma Atkins' particulars, what am I actually looking at - a transcript of a record created by somebody, but what - the parish register in Ipswich or something else? I'm not just being curious, I always like to know what authority to give a piece of information. It might also help me get an image of the record, which I see can't be done online.
            Kevin

p.s. from reading other threads I think I now know what LDS is, but I'm not clear how authoritative people consider the results. I also still don't know exactly what I'm looking at when I click on the link.
            Kevin
            Last edited by Kevin Atkins; 01-04-11, 07:30.

Comment

The Family Search website is run by the Church of the Latter Day Saints (LDS).
              It contains transcripts and submitted parish register entries, the transcripts are more reliable that the submissions.
              There is another thread running at the moment which explains the reasons for submissions - click here

The database where your information was found is England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
              - and if you click on that link you will see the source of those records is given as Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled records - that is, transcribed records so reasonably accurate. Obviously there could have been an error in the transcription so you need to bear that in mind.

There are various links to the Family Search website as they have been updating it and changing it over recent months. The most up to date one is: https://www.familysearch.org/
              The Pilot Search was one of the original links that was provided whilst they were updating the site.

When you get to the website you can either search using the search boxes on the home page, or you can look for records by location. You will see "Browse by location" and under that various places/continents. If you click on Europe you can then scroll through all the database collections they have for Europe which includes a few for England. Some of these are transcribed records, others are actual images of parish registers where you need to scroll through the images page by page looking for whatever you need.

The site is regularly being updated so it's always worth keeping an eye on it for new things being added.

If you have a LDS centre near you then you can order and view parish registers on film/fiche.
              You might find our guide Latter Day Saints Family History Libraries in the FTF Reference Library of interest.
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Atkins View Post
                The parish registers are apparently in the National Archives in Ipswich. Kevin.
                Not nit picking Kevin but it may help in the future when searching out records to realise that County Records Offices such as the one at Ipswich which holds parish registers, and a whole lot of other Suffolk specific records, are a separate thing from the National Archives which are based in Kew and largely hold records of nationwide relevance (that last bit is a gross simplification by the way before anyone shoots me down :D )
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                  Not nit picking Kevin but it may help in the future when searching out records to realise that County Records Offices such as the one at Ipswich which holds parish registers, and a whole lot of other Suffolk specific records, are a separate thing from the National Archives which are based in Kew and largely hold records of nationwide relevance (that last bit is a gross simplification by the way before anyone shoots me down :D )
                  Sorry about that. What caused the confusion is that I was browsing the National Archives site when I came across the reference to the parish registers at Ipswich, and it didn't make clear ( at least to me ) that it was a completely different organisation. I just assumed it was some offshoot.
                  Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    There is someone on Rootschat offering to do lookups of Brandeston PRs (from fiche)

If you haven't used Rootschat before, you will need to register but it's free.

... by the way, welcome to Family Tree Forum.
                    Since I've now got the info I was looking for, should I post a message on Rootschat to that effect?
                    Kevin

Comment

Since I've now got the info I was looking for, should I post a message on Rootschat to that effect?
                      Kevin
                      Yes, it would be the polite thing to do.
                      You will find that people who help out on forums do so very willingly, but there is nothing worse than googling for something and find that the question has already been answered on a different forum!
                      Elaine

Comment

Just to let you know about a very helpful gentleman on this site, too, that goes to a records office in Suffolk sometimes:
                        Joy

Comment

I noticed your request yesterday & as I had finished my lookups today, I had a quick look at the Brandeston registers. In addition to the children already mentioned, a son James was also baptised 8/7/1828.

The 1813 entry for John shows his mother Lydia's maiden name was NUNN & that his father John was a Taylor (sic).

I did look for a marriage for John ROGERS & Lydia NUNN but the marriage registers for 1754 - 1812 are missing so if they married there it will be neccessary to look at BTs if they exist.
                          Glen

Comment

Much appreciate the help, Oakum Picker. Do you take "Taylor" to be an occupation or a surname?

Kevin

Comment

Much appreciate the help, Oakum Picker. Do you take "Taylor" to be an occupation or a surname?

Kevin
                              It was his occupation but that was how it was spelled.
                              Glen

Comment

From Boyds marriage index

John Rogers
                                Lidia Nun
                                Brandeston

Comment

Thanks very much, Sue.
                                  Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                                  From Boyds marriage index

John Rogers
                                  Lidia Nun
                                  Brandeston

Comment

Having only one lookup for today & Sue having supplied the year of marriage, I thought I'd have a look at the BTs.
                                    Brandeston
                                    John ROGERS sotp Banns 31/10/1809
                                    Lydia NUNN sotp Wit: John WHATLING Sarah ROGERS All signed except the groom.
                                    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                      I noticed your request yesterday & as I had finished my lookups today, I had a quick look at the Brandeston registers. In addition to the children already mentioned, a son James was also baptised 8/7/1828.

The 1813 entry for John shows his mother Lydia's maiden name was NUNN & that his father John was a Taylor (sic).

I did look for a marriage for John ROGERS & Lydia NUNN but the marriage registers for 1754 - 1812 are missing so if they married there it will be neccessary to look at BTs if they exist.
                                      Thanks Glen, much appreciated. As a fairly new boy, though, what are BTs? And while I'm here, what's sotp?
                                      Kevin

Comment

Thanks Glen, much appreciated. As a fairly new boy, though, what are BTs? And while I'm here, what's sotp?
                                        Kevin
                                        Sorry Kevin, they are abbreviations for Bishop's Transcripts & 'single, of this parish'.

Each year within a month of Easter a copy of all register entries for the preceding year was sent to the Diocesan Registry (i.e. to the Bishop). Not always an exact copy so sometimes different info. can be found. The survival rate varies but you were lucky which was just as well as the original marriage register has been lost.

The Suffolk BTs have been filmed in a particularly inconvenient manner which makes searching them very time consuming so I will only do it if I have an exact year. Even then each year is on 2 films, filmed in alphabetical order of deaneries & alphabetical order of parishes within those deaneries so with 550 plus parishes, it takes time.
                                        Glen

Comment

Working...
                                        X