Looking for a marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a marriage

I've got a William Hudson who was baptised in Shepshed, Leicestershire on 14 April 1800 .. His parents are given as John & Ann Hudson. I'm looking for John & Ann's marriage (John's father, William, was married to Dorothy Goodwin at Shepshed on 13 Nov 1769)

In Shepshed itself, I can find these 2 marriages:

John Hudson & Mary Alt 29 Sep 1794
    James Hudson & Ann Hutchinson 15 Oct 1792

Someone on Ancestry has got a tree with Ann listed as Ann Olivant (doesn't say where they married or where she was from....tried mailing but they haven't replied) The only person researching Olivants on Roots Chat has them placed only in Ordsall, Notts (can't contact them because they've never posted). There were quite a lot of Hudsons in the very small Ordsall as well as Oliphants, so maybe John from Shepshed had relatives & married there.

But I can't find anything. Can anyone help, or is my only hope the archives with the Ordsall records ? (someone has been to Leics archives for me to get those 2 Shepshed marriages, but they may have missed something, of course, although they're very reliable)

I have Notts Marriage Index, and the closest that I can find are -

John Hemsall and Ann Olivant 26th November 1793, Ordsall All Hallows.
    William Hudson and Ann Ollivant 2nd July 1799, Cottam Holy Trinity.

I hope this helps.
    AUDREY

Comment

Thanks very much....I think the person with Ann Olivant may have mixed up the 2 families. No doubt William Hudson & Ann Olivant had a son named William & the John Hudson & Ann in Shepshed had a son named William (as mentioned above)....but maybe they were related ?

Another possibility I can think of is that the James Hudson who married Ann Hutchinson was also known as John (bit of a longshot ?)

Comment

I wonder if the Mary Alt who married John Hudson (see my opening post) was really Mary Ann Alt or something & she used the Ann for part of the time. Maybe I can find her birth

Comment

Or maybe Mary Alt died & he married an Ann somewhere that was not Shepshed/Ordsall.....or maybe they just moved in together

Comment

I can't find anything for Mary Alt. Could someone please check to see if they can find her birth or death....all that I know is that she married John Hudson on 29 Sept 1794 in Shepshed, Leicestershire

Comment

Ho hum... nearly.all the Alts/Aults I can find outside London came from Derbyshire. Think I'm going the wrong way about this....think I've got to find John Hudson's death.

I've found James Hudson on the 1841 census...still living in Shepshed with Ann & what looks like a grown up son (Josiah) & family.

I can't find John Hudson on the 1841 census, so I think he was probably dead by then.....found a few Mary/Mary Ann/Ann Hudsons of the right age living alone in the right areas. And I've found 4 or 5 deaths of John Hudsons, any one (or none ) of which could be mine.

Could ordering those death entries help me narrow it down ?

Comment

What about this marriage?

JOHN HUDSON
                Spouse: ANN MORRIS
                Marriage: 17 MAR 1791 Cossington / Seagrave, Leicester, England

Someone on Ancestry has got a tree with Ann listed as Ann Olivant
                ... don't believe all you see on Ancestry, someone has got one of my rellies, who although married and appearing on the census with her family, in their tree - as her first name seems to fit !!!
                Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 01-04-11, 16:27.
                Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Thank you very much, LL.....thought I'd already replied to you, but I must have left the site somehow without posting. Excuse my ignorance/blank mind, but I'm just wondering where to go from here. Some kind soul has offered to look up this marriage in the archives, but I'm wondering if this is the next step to take. I suppose the next thing to do would be to see if I can find these 2 in 1841. I know that "my John's" son, William, was born in Shepshed in 1800/1805. I'll try the 1841 census (any advice what to do welcome)

Comment

Looks like I've found Ann Hudson (Morris) living as a widow on the 1841 census in Cossington with her son, John, aged 40. I suppose my next step is to try & find out where her husband, John, died, to get an indication if they'd always lived in Cossington or if she moved back after his death

Comment

Working...
                    X