edward begley b1892

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edward begley b1892

HI, can anyone help me by searching 1911 for the above person please. He was born in stepney, london. In 1901 he is in an institution in Mile End, London, after his mother died. In 1922 he got married in poplar, london. I don't have access to 1911, I'm guessing he stayed in the east end but of course I can't be sure
    many thanks
    Darannon

Have you tried the free parts of the various 1911 census offerings?

I have access to the full census, via FMP, but it's said that you can obtain a great deal of info, just by juggling the info from the various version of index transcriptions.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What occupation does he have at his marriage? And what address does he give then?

And do you have his birth info - to get his parents' names? Could he be with them?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can see that he's not easy to find! The reason I asked about his occupation is that there are some naval personnel of that name.

Christine

Comment

Following on from Christine's reply above there is an Eduard? Begley age 18 listed under shipping in Cardiff, Glam.
          His birthplace given as Stepney.
          Moggie

Comment

Well done, Maudarby!

That looks very possible! In Barry Dock - a "trimmer" on board the "Lodsen", of Tonsberg.

Christine

Comment

Slight possibility that this TNA record is yours:
              BT 372/56/24

R128218 BEGLEY E J 25/03/1919 SWANSEA

Christine

Comment

hi - thanks for your help - I'm not sure of his occupation as I don't have his marriage certificate, the information was passed on to me. I couldn't find any army record for ww1 for him. His mother, mary ann begley, died in mile end in 1900 and his father thomas seems to vanish. I haven't found him in 1901, or any death or remarriage so far. Edward is an inmate at an institution run by the mile end board of guardians in 1901. His sister Caroline married Frederick Manins in mile end in 1906, so it's possible he's with her in 1911?

Comment

hi again - i missed the post about edward in the navy - that looks very promising with stepney as the birthplace - thankyou very much (:

Comment

Hi
                    I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to find a birth registration for Edward or Caroline & if I'm looking at the right family in 1891 there was an Anne age 3 & a Thomas age 9 months. He was possibly the same Thomas age 12 in the Mile End institution with Edward.
                    Moggie

Comment

yes that is the same family, and I can't find the birth registrations either - I need to go through my paperwork, caroline in 1901 is a boarder at 89 Duckett Street, Mile End - her grandfather died at number 99 in January of that year, and her aunt lived at number 102. Thanks for looking
                      Darannon

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        In Barry Dock - a "trimmer" on board the "Lodsen", of Tonsberg.
                        In case no-one has said, a trimmer's job was to break up big lumps of coal ready for the stoker to shovel into the ship's boilers. A dirty and unglamorous job!
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If you're having trouble finding records - is it because you're putting in too much detail? Or not allowing for variants of names? or not allowing for mistranscriptions - or misunderstandings.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            If you're having trouble finding records - is it because you're putting in too much detail? Or not allowing for variants of names? or not allowing for mistranscriptions - or misunderstandings.

Christine
                            Hi Christine
                            I agree that the surname could have been mistranscribed & I've looked for Bagley, Bigley etc. The census only gives us an approx year of birth but with Thomas in 1891 his age was given as 9 months which would make his birth either in the Apr/May/Jun or the Jul/Aug/Sep qtrs of 1890. Doing a search on FreeBMD for those 2 qtrs, no specified county or place for Thomas with surname B*gley only throws up 3 possibles. Thomas BAGLEY, Manchester. Thomas Begley Liverpool & Thomas Bingley Sheffield.
                            It just seems odd with a choice of 4 children I can't find any of them.
                            Moggie

Comment

maybe the fault is not with b*gley, but the ley bit.

Comment

I have tried 'ly' and 'lee' but still having no success, nor have I found any baptism records so far. It may have to stay as a brick wall a while longer

Comment

I also meant to say, this whole family seem to have avoided birth registrations, as Mary's two married sisters had children around the same time who have also not appeared in the birth records so far ): I know it was enforced from 1875, but i'm not sure to what extent?

Comment

Hi
                                    Do you have any details about his parents, do you know when they married ? Thomas gave his birthplace as Bow in 1891 but I can't find him before or after this census, unless he was the Thomas Bigley born c 1862 at Bethnal Green, son of Dennis & Norah living in Bow in 1881.
                                    Moggie

Comment

hi the parents were thomas begley and mary ann radley, they married in tower hamlets in 1882 and the record is on ancestry (i also have the certificate). In 1891 they have 3 children - caroline, annie and thomas and they're living at 3 ashfield place, ratcliff (east end of london). In 1901 Caroline is a boarder in the same street (duckett st, mile end) as her grandfather and aunt. Thomas is an inmate at the mile end board of guardians, and with him is edward, 3 years younger. I don't know where annie is, and i can't find any birth registrations for them - i would especially like to check that edward is definitely also their child. Caroline marries frederick manins in 1906, and annie marries john king in 1910, both in the east end. I have their certificates somewhere and the father was deceased - but i'm not sure if this is true, as I can't find a death registration for him. It's all quite a puzzle. Mary Ann Radley was my g.grandmothers sister, and i have quite a lot of info on her family, but i haven't looked into thomas begley snr (yet!)

Comment

It crosses my mind that "LEY" in lower-case script could easily be mistaken for "BY"

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X