Arthur Josep Grace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Josep Grace

I'm going boss-eyed looking for Arthur Joseph Grace and his father John on the England Census Records.

Can anyone find him on the England Cenus Records please?

Marriage Certificate 1902. DUBLIN.
    ARTHUR JOSEPH GRACE, Full Age, a Bottle maker.,
    of 35 Nth. Brunswick Street, Dublin.
    Father: JOHN GRACE, Farmer

1901 & 1911 He was living in Dublin City..

1901 Census: living at 35.4 Brunswick St, Dublin.

Aurther Grace, Head, RC, age 33, born c.1868 Dublin (Transcription Error original copy says ENGLAND) Bottle Mould Fitter.

Minnie Grace, Wife, RC, age 27, born c.1874 Dublin City.
    Elizabeth Grace, Dau, RC, aged 3, born c.1898 Dublin City

1911 Census: living at 47.5 Benburb St. Dublin.

Joseph Grace, Head, RC, aged 40 born c.1871 ENGLAND, Fitter.
    Mary Grace, Wife, RC, age 34, born c.1877 Dublin City.
    Elizabeth Grace, dau, RC, age 12. born c.1899 Dublin City.

Feb 1924......Arthur Grace, Mould Fitter at Glass Bottle Works, aged 52 dies at home, 191 Hardshaw Street, St Helens, Lancs.
    Making his birth year c.1872.
    teresa

You say he married in 1902 but the 1901 shows a 2yr old daughter and 1911 entry says married 13yrs. The only birth reg is 1874 Notts and his father was Joseph as per 1881.

The 1871/1881 census have no match to a father John so there are 2 possibilities:

He was illegitimate and made up a fathers name when he married so as to appear "respectable". Perhaps his mother was Irish and returned to Ireland after the birth

He was legitimate but his parents "emigrated" to Ireland after his birth - depending on his real birthyear, that could be before the 1871 census or before the 1881. There are a massive number of John Grace marriages between 1861-1871

Comment

Originally posted by CaroleW View Post
      You say he married in 1902 but the 1901 shows a 2yr old daughter and 1911 entry says married 13yrs. The only birth reg is 1874 Notts and his father was Joseph as per 1881.

The 1871/1881 census have no match to a father John so there are 2 possibilities:

He was illegitimate and made up a fathers name when he married so as to appear "respectable". Perhaps his mother was Irish and returned to Ireland after the birth

He was legitimate but his parents "emigrated" to Ireland after his birth - depending on his real birthyear, that could be before the 1871 census or before the 1881. There are a massive number of John Grace marriages between 1861-1871
      Carole
      Many thanks for checking the census records for me. I thought I might have missed finding Arthur living with his father!

Arthur Joseph Grace and Mary were married in RC Church in Dublin, 1902 as I have their marriage certificate. Mary was also known as Minnie as confirmed by a relative of my Irish Gran...Mary was my Gran's sister. Elizabeth was obviously born out of wedlock but so far been unable to get the right birth certificate from Ireland. Knowing my lot, her birth is probably not registered anyway, like a lot of them!
      Arthur and Mary Grace both died over here in England. Elizabeth Grace was also the informant of her mother's death in St Helens Lancs. (I also have Elizabeth Grace's marriage certificate.)
      teresa

Comment

Working...
      X