Manchester 1862 - 1863

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester 1862 - 1863

G. grandmother x 2 dies Sep. q. 1863 aged 30. Her son George dies March q. 1862 aged 3.

I need certs to discover why they died but before I lay out the cash, I wondered, as they died relatively close, whether there was any particular diseases at that time?

Perhaps someone could point me in the direction of where to look please.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Jen

Manchester was a filthy disease-ridden place in the 1800s and they could have died of a variety of things. Most of my family were in Manchester by the 1860s and busily died of TB, cholera, measles, puerperal fever and so on - all the diseases of overcrowding and insanitary surroundings.

Do you have an address?

OC

Comment

As I had 2 sisters who died of Scarlet fever between 1859/63 in Cheshire, I had considered that a similar fate may have occurred OC.

They were at Pott st. Manchester, Reg dist. Prestwich cum Oldham.
      Jen

Comment

The Lancashire cotton famine began in 1861, I think. You should find lots of information about it by searching Google.
        Several of my Lancs people either died or moved to Bradford around that time.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-03-11, 21:57.

Comment

Thank you Mary, I will google though somehow, I'm dubious, as Maria's husband, re-married soon after her death and on the next census he had his own grocery shop and was employing his young step son.
          Jen

Comment

I think cholera was quite prevelent then, especially in dirty crowded cities

Comment

Yes, I imagine it may have been one disease or another chris, I shall have to get the certs.
              Jen

Comment

Working...
              X