• Show
Clear All

• Bert Artiss

I received the following from Jenny about my Artiss relatives in Canada
    Hi Mike
    Not sure if you've seen Bert's WW1 records from Collections Canada:

In this he states his birth as April 6 1882

Here is what I have on him :-
    Albert Artiss (Bert)(Q2 1876 Kings Norton -05 Jul 1945)
    (son of Joseph ARTISS & Sophia Evans married 08 Dec 1866 Bristol Rd Chapel,Birmingham,WAR)

died 05 Jul 1945 in Slocan Lake,BC,Canada*Bert Artiss*

died July 3rd, 1945 at Slocan Lake, New Denver of acute heart failure, hypertension and nephritis. He was aged 65 and born Birmingham but there were no details of his parents. The certificate stated "No Particulars, these were obtained from the Branch Local Legion" (Royal Canadian Legion) so it looks as if he didn't have family in the area. If he was a member of the Legion, he may have served in the Canadian forces at some time.

Under trade it said odd work and pension. Citizenship was Canadian, he'd lived in the community for 18 years and in British Columbia and Canada for 38 years. {aged 63}

BEF 1916 101st Edmonton Fusilliers

census:
    1881 in 42 Brighton Rd,Balsall Heath,Birmingham,WAR son 4 Birmingham,WAR
    1891 in 7 Alma St,Birmingham,WAR son u 14 drapers assistant Sparkbrook,Kings Norton,WOR
    1901 in 40 Cannon Hill Rd,Balsall Heath,Birmingham,WAR son s 24 drapers assistant Birmingham,WAR
    1907 lodging with Mrs Artiss at 40 Cannon Hill Rd with Mrs Artiss @ 20/ per week including board(electoral roll)

He is not in the 1911 census for England but his mother entry is
    1911 in 66 Watford Rd, Kings Norton hd 70 wid 8b 6l 2d Liverpool,LAN
    she dies in Q3 1916.

It is the same person I am sure but why has he knocked 6 years off his age

Regards

Mike
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

There is a Canadian passenger list entry on Ancestry for a 1039305 Cpl B. Artiss being demobbed, destination Vancover. It states his mother is a dependent. He was aboard the 'Royal George' from Liverpool to Halifax, Nova Scotia and he landed on 24 March 1919.
    The entries are titled "Nominal roll of men returned to Canada".
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 29-03-11, 14:05.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I had an ancestor who knocked nine years from his age to qualify to join the Canadian Over-seas Expeditionary Force - he was too old to join if he hadn't.

And I have female ancestors who routinely lied about their ages.

They could lie - no driver's licenses, computers or any thing else.

Comment

Now that doesn't help as I have Albert's mother dying in Aston,Birmingham q3 1916 age 75.(which agrees with all her census entries from 1871 onwards)
        (I only have a UK premium sub so can't see link until I go to the local library)

Thanks

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
        There is a Canadian passenger list entry on Ancestry for a 1039305 Cpl B. Artiss being demobbed, destination Vancover. It states his mother is a dependent. He was aboard the 'Royal George' from Liverpool to Halifax, Nova Scotia and he landed on 24 March 1919.
        The entries are titled "Nominal roll of men returned to Canada".
        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...ln=Artiss&st=g
        Last edited by Mike Fisher; 30-03-11, 10:31.
        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
        http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Possibly his mother being listed as his dependent came from his army records which hadn't been updated since her death.
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
          X