Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to read handwritten will from 1854???? Any hints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to read handwritten will from 1854???? Any hints?

Hello all
    Any suggestions/hints to help me read a copy of an 1854 will, close handwriting, but so difficult to read!!
    Thanks, Rachel

Scan it and enlarge it as much as you can. You can often get an A4 size up to almost A3 and still be able to read it.

Then draw a line just under each line of text and in the left hand column number your rows 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.
    On a separate piece of paper (lined) number the rows on that as well.
    What you do is transcribe as much of line 1 from the will onto the line 1 on the piece of paper, as much as you can of line 2 of the will onto line 2 of the piece of paper etc ... leaving blanks where you cannot decipher the wording.
    It's much easier doing it this way because you will find it easier to follow the handwritten will against your transcription because the line numberings will match. Skim through the will transcribing what you can, then go back over it bit by bit filling in the gaps.

The more times you go through it the formation of the letters/words become a little more evident ... hopefully!
    Elaine

Comment

Another way to do it is to follow Elaine's instructions and enlarge it, then tape a piece of tracing paper over it and as you recognise a word, pencil it in. You will find that words suddenly jump out and make sense.

OC

Comment

Elaine & OC have suggested pretty much what I do in the same situation. My only extra comment is that 1854 is early enough that some of the lower-case S will appear as elongated ~ more like a script f.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I usually type them out in Word, leaving blanks for letters/words I can't decipher. It's amazing how much seems obvious when you read it back for meaning!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you so much everyone, as ever great advice which I will try
            Rachel

Comment

Working...
            X