Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewood Hawker

Hi all,

I was just looking at a 1901 census for my G G Granddad and it shows his occupation as a Firewood Hawker (own account). What was a firewood Hawker, what did the job entail? Any ideas please I've never heard of it before

Ness

Hi Ness

There is a great list of old occupations here http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/h.html.

A Hawker was usually a street seller, just selling what they could carry. I had one who was a vegetable hawker.
    Helen in Glos

Comment

I expect he went from door to door selling it.

OC

Comment

Probably chopped up wood into sticks of kindling, then went round the streets knocking on doors to sell it.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

This is a child version of it.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Ahhh that's what it is, thanks guys for the info and the links....
            I was just thinking about getting some firewood myself it's getting cold here :(

Ness

Comment

A common occupation in the 1930's was Hawkers. The would sell practically anything that was portable, usually from a horse and cart and travel
              door to door. We even had grocery hawkers. Another common site in Oz was the ubiquitious 'swaggie'- a man who had no home, carried all his
              worldly goods on his back - hence swagman - and would offer to do odd jobs around the property for cash. Chop a ton of wood for 2 shillings.
              Times were tough after the great depression of the early 30's
              David
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
              X