Names, One or the other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names, One or the other?

Just looking for one of my 4xG/Gmas called Annis, I typed it in and couldn't find her. I eventually did but she was called Elizabeth. I have had this problem before looking for a Betty, she too was Elizabeth. It's mainly female names that are a problem (sorry ladies!) but my dad was John but known by everyone as Jack!
    Does anyone know of a list of such Name Alternatives one could refer to on occasion when looking for that elusive person?
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

I don't but sympathise. I've a gt x a few auntie who was baptised as Betsy but changed to Elizabeth when she got married. Betsy/Elizabeth and Jack/John are quite common, but my Mum had an aunt Polly Em. Polly is a diminutive for Mary but the aunt in question was called Emily Esther and she was called Polly Em because she kept a parrot!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Here's one fairly exhaustive list - http://www.nireland.com/anne.johnston/Diminutives.htm
      though no list will deal with examples such as Little Nells great aunt Polly Em, or my great aunt Bow Wow Alice (No she didn't have a pet dog but DID wear a furry hat apparently)
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Nor my auntie Pet, who was Doris really, but called everyone Pet.

Nor me, called Sissie by my brother because he couldn't say my name, so called me sister.

OC

Comment

I think the reason they may have called him Jack was because my dad's 'drinking mate' and card partner was also called John and both only had one arm. My dad had no Left arm the other John no Right arm!!!!
          I suppose there was no "arm" in calling him Jack!!!!
          Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

I believe that Annis can be used for Agnes?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you each for your help and advice. Thanks Judith for the list, just what I need. I've coped it and will keep it to hand, it will come in handy.

Comment

Working...
              X