Building ontop of Commoners graves ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building ontop of Commoners graves ?

Is this allowed, I have my Grandad in a commoners plot and today my Husband went there and said there seems to be so buiding going on there, I know its only a grassed over piece of land now but there will be a lot of people bureid there.I was given the plot number a couple of years ago and still have the letter they sent.Can they do this does anyone know.Needless to say I will be going to the office there this week.
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

As with most things, it all depends. A grave may be in a churchyard (consecrated ground), a municipal cemetery or a cemetery owned by a private cemetery company. And burial plots may be bought outright or leased for a set period for a fee. It is quite normal for interred remains in leased or common graves to be moved, subject to rules (which I'm not familiar with). The plot can then be reused.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My father's burial plot cost quite a lot of money (to my mind) but is only his for 50 years - then it can be sold again.

There's many a supermarket/DIY store built on top of an old grave yard.

OC

Comment

And huge numbers of interred remains were dug out when the Midland Railway extension to St. Pancras was built in the 1860s.

Comment

Oh dear looks like they will do what they want then.Thank you.
          regards Patti

Comment

If we never built over graveyards we'd soon have run out of space. But I would enquire about it with the council, they may have plans to move the bodies elsewhere.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have just been to the Cemetery and seen what they are doing, it seems they have dug up all the ground and are now putting in large Ready made burial plots complete with the headstones etc, and a big path leading up to it.
              I went in the office and asked about it, only a sub employee there,but very nice man, he took a copy of the letter I had from them stating the burial plot and reference for it that they sent me in 2008,so I could find it,not much good now is it,but he is passing the letter on to Westminster Council with my complaint,nothing I can do about it but I spent a long time looking for him as the family did not want to discuss him, and now this.I know it happens as you have all said but it not nice.
              regards Patti

Comment

I would be upset to find this had happened to a close family member after having had fairly recent communication about the burial plot. I'm thankful that my parents and brother's remains in a memorial garden are hopefully protected in a lovely setting.

Comment

If you investigate further, you may find that Westminster Council published a notice in one or more newspapers giving notice of what they intended to do. And perhaps sent letters as well to any next of kin they had addresses for, for any paid-for burial plots.

Comment

I used to play in the Gill park in Sunderland as a child and noticed gravestones around the perimeter. Subsquently a new road scheme was built over it in 1960/70's.

I believe that the graves were dug up and the remains re-located before it became a park etc.

UJ the cemetary where my parents are buried doesn't have any contact details as I found out some years ago when I was having parent's grave renovated.

What really annoyed me was when the inspectors came around and put posts and stickers behind each gravestones of a huge number in the cemetary (some quite modern ones too). Luckily ours was ok.
                    Last edited by JBee; 30-03-11, 09:13.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                    X