My brickwalls: 1) Archibald Little, b 1866 in Glasgow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brickwalls: 1) Archibald Little, b 1866 in Glasgow

My father left a family tree in which he gives no dates but says that Archibald Little (also found as Archibold) went to the Isle of Man, had children Addie and Josie.
    I have his birth date in Glasgow as 30th May 1866, son of John Little and Margaret May. The family seem to have emigrated to Dublin by 1870, and Margaret died.
    He's in the 1901 Irish census in Dublin with a wife Adelaide and three children, 0-4, no Addie or Josie. 'Cashire' which I read as 'cashier' in a mineral water factory.
    Then he's found in Birkenhead in 1911 selling tripe. This sounds a bit unlikely, but the names, dates, birthplaces fit. Then I lose him altogether.

I can't find anything on any Manx site I have found.
    I thought the IOM statement must be wrong, but I've recently had a confirmation that a daughter, now Mrs Rogerson, was in the IOM - at least when my Canadian contact's mother was writing her old address book!
    Which daughter, we don't know.
    Any ideas or information, anyone? - Alison

PS - I'm still new - how do you put the title in bold?

Originally posted by Frodsham70 View Post
    PS - I'm still new - how do you put the title in bold?
    Alison, if you are referring to the title showing in the forum listing then you will find any threads which you haven't read since their last post will be in bold.
    Once you read a thread then the bold font reverts to normal font.
    Elaine

Comment

Have you tried this one:

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, I have. It seems he didn't marry, have a child or die there.........still wondering why and when he was there! - Alison

Comment

Ah well! That idea won't wash, then.

What about newspaper archives online? Herts Library Service gives me access from home to a couple of the datasets, on the strength of my library card number.

Have you tried googling?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Nothing via Google. But - I forgot there might be a paper - and there is. The 'Isle of Man Times' from 1869 - 1900...you never know! The British Library has been invaluable for Glasgow and Dublin!
            - Thanks, Alison.
            Last edited by Frodsham70; 28-03-11, 17:27. Reason: Addition

Comment

No luck. If he was there, he was the sort of person who didn't get in the paper!.......I tried the other members of his family that I know about too.........Alison.

Comment

Foiled! But worth a try. Can't think of any more ideas at the moment, sorry.

Christine

Comment

Hi there is a Archibald Little born on 30th May 1866 in Glasgow to a John Little and Margaret May and the birth extract gives the parents marriage as 31st December 1860. Does that help at all? Had some credits for SP but need to keep the rest for the 1911 census but thought I would try and help

Steven

Comment

I see one of the children with him in 1911 is Elizabeth Adelaide Little. Perhaps she was known by her second name, shortened to Addie? And there is another daughter Isobel - perhaps the other name should have read Issie rather than Josie.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oops noticed you had all that should read the post in full in future!!!!!

Steven

Comment

(Steven - yeah...but that marriage may be a family story in itself - young man marries in Glasgow on Hogmanay for gods sake, departs to Edinburgh before the 1861 census....did Father disapprove? - First child 1862.)

JudithM - how did I miss that? I must have read it as something else. She must be Addie. But 'Josie', on my father's tree in his writing, is definite. Plus 'm - .Rogerson'.

Also I notice it says married 15 years, so about 1896. Don't know her maiden name...

I did find - possibles?:
                        Adalade Florence Willson b 1872 in Kildare. The only one there with Adelaide for first name.

Joan Little b 1921 in Birkenhead with mother Wilson. ……….?? Josie

Stuck again! - Alison
                        Last edited by Frodsham70; 30-03-11, 09:07. Reason: Removed error

Comment

Hi

Are you still looking for information relating to Archibald Little? We have an Archibald Little in our family tree. He had several children - the eldest David Andrew Little. My grandfather.

We have quite a bit family information if you still want it.

Hope this helps.

Emerald

Comment

Hello Emerald and welcome to FTF.

It looks like Frodsham70 is not online and since the thread is several months old you might find it better to make contact using the Private Message (PM) system which will send an email to say there is a message on here. You send a PM by clicking on Frodsham70 at the side of one of the posts which gives a dropdown menu, select Private message.

If there is a reply by the same method you will get an email telling you then you come on the FTF and click 'notifications' which is at the top right of the page.

Good luck!
                            Margaret

Comment

Hello Emerald.
                              I got your message but am having some difficulty in replying to it - so I hope you get a notification as I did.
                              I have quite a lot of info about my side of the family. Check - my grandfather was Andrew, son of John Little b 1840 bottlemaker by his second wife Isabel Barr - I hope we are on the same tracks here!
                              Very interested. I will try again to message you and give my email a/d - Alison

Comment

FOR MODERATOR: I still can't work the system..........I don't think it is me.
                                The links at the new line at the very top of the page aren't working?
                                Emerald - I would message if I could!

Comment

I can't log out now!

Comment

FOR MODERATOR: I still can't work the system..........I don't think it is me.
                                    The links at the new line at the very top of the page aren't working?
                                    Emerald - I would message if I could!
                                    I can't log out now!
                                    It could be that you have a "zoom" set on your web browser. Hold the Ctrl key and press 0 (zero) which will remove any zoom setting. Has that helped?

If not you can access the message system by clicking on PRIVATE MESSAGES just below the navigation bar at the top of the page - you should see:

If you are still having problems then go down to the bottom of the page, and in the drop down menu at bottom left change from the default Christmas theme to something else, to see if that makes any difference.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Emerald - and moderator - I am trying again. I have only logged in by trying until I got the bulletin and could sign in NOT via the links at the top.....none of the top line working...and yes I did correct the zoom.
                                      I will try to message again, but if no message, it didn't work!

Comment

Emerald - and moderator - I am trying again. I have only logged in by trying until I got the bulletin and could sign in NOT via the links at the top.....none of the top line working...and yes I did correct the zoom.
                                        I will try to message again, but if no message, it didn't work!
                                        Are you using the ultra-exciting Christmas "skin"? (A whole Christmassy scene in the banner, with FC & his sleigh silhouetted against a full moon.) If so that's the other thing that can snarl up the system.

At the bottom of the window, on the left, is a drop-down menu. Mine currently says "Pure Christmas 2012 fluid", and I have the whole shebang. If I switch back to, say, FTF Default, or one of the colours, then I just get a Christmas tree at the left of the banner, with everything else pretty much as usual... which means that underlying fancy stuff doesn't mask things you're trying to use.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X