Family Search errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Search errors

My first post and its a moan! I just found the thread on Ancestry errors.
    (If there is already a thread on Family Search, will someone please move this?)
    My grandmother Adelaide Andrews (Dublin 14 Apr 1876) is there as Caroline born the day before. This person didn't exist as far as we know - we've been through the bit about a possible deceased twin - and they don't do corrections.
    Also, why are there so many duplicates in their results?
    Now they are removing the easiest of their sites, to substitute, apparently, the one I find really difficult to find anything on! - Alison.

There is definitely a birth registration in the Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 for Caroline Andrews. Maybe she was registered as Caroline and then had a change of name to Adelaide. Might be worthwhile getting the birth certificate.
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Now they are removing the easiest of their sites, to substitute, apparently, the one I find really difficult to find anything on! -
    I agree the new site isn't as easy to use!

...and welcome to Family Tree Forum.
    Elaine

Comment

Is this about Ancestry,Family Search or what is in the actual index published by the authorities ?
      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

I was on about the Latter Day Saints sites, but maybe it isn't their error, if the registration is there.
        We do have my grandmother's baptism certificate giving the birth date as 14 Apr 1876. Would the birth cert for Caroline tell us any more?
        My Gran was Adelaide Marion. The name is after her aunt.....We can't think that a dead twin would be registered and not the live baby! I suppose a name change is possible and might not be recorded? - Alison
        Last edited by Frodsham70; 27-03-11, 10:40. Reason: Addition

Comment

Duplicates: FamilySearch uses two volunteer transcribers and an arbitrator for each record. I've assumed in the past that if a record's transcriptions are not identical, both records will be displayed - but I've never seen any documentation for that.

Have you registered your comment about the impending loss of the site you like?

Comment

We need to remember the difference between sites like ancestry, which are subscription sites which have been set up to make money, and the LDS Family Search site which is completely free to all and was not set up to make a profit.

A further difference is the purpose of the LDS site, which is primarily a religious purpose, not a genealogical one and the criteria for including an entry, whether backed by source or completely imaginary, is again a religious one.

The LDS never remove an entry - as they say, how can they be arbiters of what is fact and what isn't, what is a mistranscription and what isn't, etc, so all entries stand, no matter how daft they seem to anyone in the know.

I hate the new site too! I knew where I was with the old one and how far I could trust an entry.

OC

Comment

The difference being, I suppose, that the pay sites need to please their customers!
              The LDS people just want a head count? It would explain the multiple duplications.
              Cynic, aren't I?
              I use the new site as a last resort, and every time I come away irritated. I've now discovered things which just weren't visible on the starting page - it would help if they were - but either I drown in results which I can't find a way to refine, or I get nothing....or I ask for births and get everything but..........Grrr! - Alison.

PS - yes, I have told them twice.
              Last edited by Frodsham70; 27-03-11, 16:51. Reason: Addition

Comment

Alison

No, you are misunderstanding the LDS site, they are not interested in any head counts and really couldn't care less if any of us non-Mormons use it or not, but it is there for us all to use it free of charge if we want to.

I owe the site a lot as over the years I have visited their centres and viewed films of original records, which I could never have otherwise have done. I am not a member of the Mormon church.

I was used to the many duplications on the old site and was bitterly disappointed when I saw them on the new site - the new site was supposed to have eliminated duplication, but clearly hasn't.

OC

Comment

Okay, I am just disappointed with their site and annoyed that they are removing the other one.
                  But I don't understand the religious motives for the site, I must admit. - Alison

Comment

You can still use the original Pilot site - but not sure how long it will still be available.
                    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                    Elaine

Comment

I much prefer the old familysearch site.Everything was easily understood but I can't get to grips with this new site and the way results are set out. I also prefer the old IGI search box even though it did have its limitations (like all the things it wouldn't let you do - lol!). I do owe LDS a lot for the clues things on the IGI have given me and feel a bit churlish complaining but I find the new site to be a mess.

Ann
                      Last edited by Ann from Sussex; 27-03-11, 19:27.
                      ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Members of the Mormon faith have a religious duty to identify at least four generations of their ancestors in order to have them posthumously baptised.

This is often not easy and is why you see such apparently daft entries as "parents John Smith and Mrs Smith". It was explained to me that God does not need the fine details because he already knows them and it is better to include "maybe my ancestor" than miss them out - again, God will know whether they are or not.

You can still use the original site - when you go onot the new site, scroll down the home page and click on "old site", which will take you to the original site.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Frodsham70 View Post
                          Okay, I am just disappointed with their site and annoyed that they are removing the other one.
                          But I don't understand the religious motives for the site, I must admit. - Alison
                          It was explained to me at my local LDS Family History Centre by one of the church members ( being nosey, I asked!). Members of the church have to find their ancestors at least 4 generations back - it is an obligation placed on them by the church. They then have to submit their findings...which is what the IGI actually is - the results of their research. This is why there are so many duplications and also why there are so many silly entries. As the man explaining it to me put it, " Some members are less careful than others in their research" ......You can say that again and some of them just make it up I think! I suppose they make the IGI available to all to help the process.

I'm not totally sure of the reason WHY they have to find these ancestors but think it is to do with making them members of the church too.

Ann
                          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Snap OC - you're a quicker typist than me obviously!

Ann
                            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

I hate the new familysearch site and find it really tricky to navigate, though it was great to have the Cornish and Norfolk parish register images online for free!

One of the probs is that so much stuff is submitted by people whose primary interest isn't accuracy. I found a "wrong" marriage submitted by some one which is clearly wrong - as corroborated by the parish registers and census returns. But there's no way of adding a correction and the original error has been reproduced by so many other people it implies it must be true.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                One of the probs is that so much stuff is submitted by people whose primary interest isn't accuracy.
                                If an entry is "submitted", it's done by a member of the Mormon faith to fulfil their religious duty, as so clearly explained by OC above. Their beliefs may be difficult for a non-Mormon to understand, but that's also true of most other religions.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think I have an ethical problem with posthumous baptism.........Alison.

Comment

I think many people have an ethical problem with posthumous baptism when they first learn about it. However, if you are a christian and have been baptised, then the christian church believes you can only be baptised once, so any subsequent, posthumous baptism doesn't count.

If you were never baptised in your lifetime then presumably you didn't care enough to have it done in any particular faith. The LDS church states that those posthumously baptised are free to reject that baptism on the day of judgment.

I haven't yet heard of anyone NOT using the familysearch site because of strong ethical feelings!

OC

Comment

I'm glad you explained that OC, as I was just about to say that I don't agree with posthumous baptism. Now it sounds fair enough I suppose.
                                      Maybe I'm a bit cynical too though, I did wonder if it was a numbers thing. So that they could say how many had actually been baptised into the Mormon faith.

p.s. I've always struggled on the site - old search or new. I did manage once (with help) though to find my great grandmothers baptism, when there was no sign of a birth record.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie

I don't think the Mormon church counts posthumous baptisms as making people members of their church. I think these posthumous baptisms are a way of linking people in family groups (sealings for the dead???) ready for resurrection day.

To be fair, when you compare the LDS openness and willingness to share its records with anyone of any faith and free of charge, against the reluctance of many factions of the established church to share anything, let alone free of charge....well, the LDS can be forgiven a little inaccuracy, lol!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X