Eleven children missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleven children missing

I have just found the marriage of one set of g. grandparents x 3. On Lancs bmd.
    I feel sure they are mine as all criteria matches.

They went on to have 11 children, the 3rd of whom was my g grandmother x 2.

I have no idea whether all survived to adulthood, as there is no trace of any of them, any where so far.

Could it be that wherever they were baptised (as they don't appear to have been baptised where their parents married), the records are not online, or is there a possibility, they may not have been baptised?

I don't know where to look for them now. I have tried ancestry but no luck so far, which I find strange for so many children from the same family.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
    I have no idea whether all survived to adulthood, as there is no trace of any of them, any where so far.
    Have you been able to follow them in the census?
    Elaine

Comment

I have the 1st 7 of them in 1841 and in 1851 one other is missing and 2 extra added Elaine. I dare say one or two may have died young, but I'm not finding any members of the family after 1851. It's possible the parents may have died by then.
      Jen

Comment

They may have emigrated. My gt x 3 grandmother's widowed father, three brothers and two sisters and their families all converted to Mormonism and went off to the USA, which I only found out about recently.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          They may have emigrated. My gt x 3 grandmother's widowed father, three brothers and two sisters and their families all converted to Mormonism and went off to the USA, which I only found out about recently.
          Think it's highly unlikely Nell. One thing I've discovered about all my ancestors, they all stayed put here lol!
          I really need to find out when and where my great grandmother was born. And as I have not done any other research in their neck of the woods, I am getting confused by all the local parishes/districts. I don't think g grandmother was born where her mother was.
          Jen

Comment

Sorry if I'm missing something but how do you know there were eleven of them if you can't find them on census or in the bmds?

Remember, there is as much NOT on line as there is on it, especially in Lancashire, which has a history of nonconformity.

Put up some names.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Sorry if I'm missing something but how do you know there were eleven of them if you can't find them on census or in the bmds?

Remember, there is as much NOT on line as there is on it, especially in Lancashire, which has a history of nonconformity.

Put up some names.

OC
              OC I have them in 1841 and 1851.....11 in total........here is the family........

1841 HO107/548 Bk 14 F19 P2
              Civil Prestwich cum Oldham

Head. William Nelson 25 Cotton Weaver 1816
              wife. Alice (Nee Harrop) 30 Cotton Weaver 1811
              D. Mary Ann 15 Cotton weaver 1826
              S. Joseph 9 1832
              D. Maria 8 1833
              D. Hannah 6 1835
              S. George 5 1836
              S. Thomas 3 1838
              D. Jane 3 mnths 1841

1851 Address 15 Love Lane Manchester Ecc. All Souls.

H. William Nelson 46 1805 Cotton weaver Crompton Lancs.
              W. Alice 39 1812 Saddleworth
              D. Mary Ann 22 1829 Power loom weaver. Crompton
              D. Hannah 16 1836 " " " Crompton
              S. Thomas 12 1837 Silk Piecer Crompton
              S. Edward 7 1844 Crompton
              S. William 5 1846 Beswick
              S. Immanuel 2 1849 Manchester
              S. Samuel 5 months 1850 Manchester

My g grandmother x 2 Maria is now missing. At about 18 she had my illegitimate g. grandmother Jane.....but where? Born about 1851.

And several other children are now in the family.
              Jen

Comment

I think this is them in 1861 RG9, piece 2932, folio 106, page 3

Jackie

Comment

Have you found Maria's daughter Jane's birth reg? I think its probably this one on Lancs BMD

1851 NELSON Jane Crompton Oldham MMN - NELSON

That tallies with the one on FreeBMD in Q/E Dec 1851, in which case Jane won't be on the 1851 census.
                  Jackie

Comment

Here are some of the baptisms:

Mary Ann 23 Nov 1828 St Paul Royton d/o William and alice, of whitefield
                    Robert 15 Aug 1830 Shaw Chapel, Oldham, of whitefield
                    Joseph 8 Jan 1832 shaw Chapel
                    George, Hannah, Maria, all on 29 Jun 1837, shaw chapel, of Sandhole.

There are also a couple of possibles later on including Samuel 1851. I'll check again.

(All the above from LAN-OPC)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                      Have you found Maria's daughter Jane's birth reg? I think its probably this one on Lancs BMD

1851 NELSON Jane Crompton Oldham MMN - NELSON

That tallies with the one on FreeBMD in Q/E Dec 1851, in which case Jane won't be on the 1851 census.

Jackie, thankyou, you have beaten me to it. I've just now found her on Lancs bmd.
                      Jen

Comment

Here are some of the baptisms:

Mary Ann 23 Nov 1828 St Paul Royton d/o William and alice, of whitefield
                        Robert 15 Aug 1830 Shaw Chapel, Oldham, of whitefield
                        Joseph 8 Jan 1832 shaw Chapel
                        George, Hannah, Maria, all on 29 Jun 1837, shaw chapel, of Sandhole.

There are also a couple of possibles later on including Samuel 1851. I'll check again.

(All the above from LAN-OPC)

OC

OC many thanks for this. I scoured Lan opc yesterday for all the places I thought possibles. Don't know where Whitefield and Sandhole come into it. Obviously the reg districts must have kept changing, as the family appear to have been in roughly the same area.

I know Maria and Jane are not on 1851 but I have found her birth now, as Jackie has.
                        Jen

Comment

I think they either stopped baptising the children once civil reg came into force, or the records haven't yet been transcribed. The births after 1837 are mostly on Lancsbmd, including Emanuel.

I searched LAN-OPC using "All county" and parents' names William and Alice.

OC

Comment

I think they either stopped baptising the children once civil reg came into force, or the records haven't yet been transcribed. The births after 1837 are mostly on Lancsbmd, including Emanuel.

I searched LAN-OPC using "All county" and parents' names William and Alice.

OC
                            Many thanks again OC and everyone, this is a great help.
                            I had forgotten all about Lancs bmd as I haven't used it for some time but found it in my favourites, glad I saved it.
                            I will go and see if there are still some stragglers to find now, after all your help.
                            Jen

Comment

Working...
                            X