System restore expert help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System restore expert help needed!

I had an issue with my PC in that I was getting an NTLDR is missing message at startup. I Googled for solutions, but as I don't have a Windows disk I decided to risk a system recovery. This went OK and I can get into my PC, but cannot access any programs installed since I got my PC in 2003, even though they are listed in Windows Explorer. My document folders are also listed, but only contain a temp file. Fortunately, I do have a fairly recent backup of these. If I go into DOS I can see everything listed and can even drill down to individual files.

The only system restore point is the one created by the recovery I did today, though there were originally restore points I created previously. I'm currently running Windows Update, which is likely to take some time!

Does anyone know how I can get access to the files that are obviously there and restore everything to the way it was?

Thanks!
    Last edited by lorry53; 26-03-11, 21:16.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

look here as you can do a reverse on system restore

or this gives you how to solve a NTLDR is missing Scroll down
    Describes how to troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" error message.

Comment

Thanks, Val, but I did a "non destructive" restore and the files are obviously there as I can see them in DOS. It's just a case of getting to them! I'm running XP and did look for solutions, but most involved a Windows CD, which I don't have. I think I'm going to wait until the Windows updates have finished and see how things are then. It's not the end of the world, just a PITA!
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

you are clever never heard of a non destructive restore?? hope you sort it

Comment

Working...
        X