Exmouth 1890 Jeweler/Watchmaker Assistant Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exmouth 1890 Jeweler/Watchmaker Assistant Records

I have an ancestor in the 1891 census who is "Jeweler/Watchmaker Assistant" in Exmouth.

Does anyone know if he would have had a formal apprenticeship? Would there be any surviving records of that?

Thanks
    Sarah

if he worked with gold it is possible. i have an ancestor who worked in london and manchester as a jeweller/watchmaker/goldsmith. i havn't looked for apprenticeship records, but i wouldnt know where to look!

Comment

Assistant suggests he wasn't qual;ified, to my mind, otherwise he would be Jeweller journeyman, Master or apprentice.

As a jewellery apprenticeship and a watchmaking apprenticeship are two different things, he wouldn't be qualified to do both. sounds as if he was a gofer for a jeweller's establishment.

AFTERTHOUGHT - how is he described on the 1901/1911?

OC

Comment

He moved to Canada. Eventually lives in a small town, initially a farmer, then the towns post man - and jeweler/watchmaker.

Comment

Don't want to hijack Photo's thread, but I've got some watchmakers, so if anyone knows of any apprenticeship records, I'd be very grateful to hear about them

Comment

Hi, greyingrey -
            What part of England, and what time period?
            Sarah

Comment

Sounds to me as if he was never a qualified professional but had picked up enough knowledge to get by. Or he may have served part of an apprenticeship.

OC

Comment

here's some records that are available for watchmakers:

Comment

Working...
                X