7 Children only two baptised ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Children only two baptised ???

Why would somebody only have two of their children baptised ???

Have George Austin and his wife Christiana married in 1824 Hackney

Susannah Amelia Austin Born 1847 Baptised 17 Jan 1847 Bethnal Green
    Emma Austin Born 1853 Baptised 30 Oct 1853 Bethnal Green

cannot find Baptisms for

Maria born abt 1839
    Jane born abt 1831
    George born abt 1840
    Eliza born abt 1843
    Agnes born abt 1847

thanks

I know my lot only had their children baptised if they were thought to be dying - My great grandad had 11 children, 4 of these survived. 3 that survived were not baptised, the 4th, my grandad was baptised but only because he was very sick and it was thought he would not survive.

Comment

hi Chris these two both survived ?? seems odd maybe I am missing something ?

Comment

Doesn't answer your question Val, but did you know there was possibly another child!
        Frederick - baptised 18th May 1851 St. Matthias, Bethnal Green.
        Transcribed as Auston on Ancestry.
        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...7047e4267e49a4

Do you know where they were living pre 1847?
        Elaine

Comment

hello Elaine and thanks for that no I didn't know about him ? cannot find this family in 1841 ??? they got married in Hackney, they next appear in 3 Mead Street Bethnal Green in 1851, wish I could find them in 1841 ?
          Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            ... wish I could find them in 1841 ?
            What about this one - recorded on Ancestry as Auster
            Elaine

Comment

Hi,
              I have a lot of families where not all the children were baptised.
              Perhaps some records are missing for a certain period.
              I also have children who were baptised as a "batch" - about 8 or 9 children all baptised on th same day and obviously some were quite old and I wouldn't have thought of looking for a baptism when they were, say, 12 years old.
              (I even had one family who baptised his children from 2 different marriages at the same time).
              Another reason could be the family moved parishes for work and are in different area - with the census being 10 years apart a lot of comming and going could have happenened in the 10 years.
              Sorry for my ramblings - just a few thoughts.
              Good luck with your search.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Elaine ,how on earth do you do it ?? that certainly looks like him but who is Mary??? and he is now born in Middlesex yet he is born in Devon in 1851??

Comment

I wondered if Mary was a nickname for Christiana.
                  Given the marriage date you have found you would certainly expect there might have been children born before the ones you have listed in post #1.
                  The 1841 census (if it's the right one) shows Ann born c1830 but I can't find a baptism for her either!
                  Elaine

Comment

you are a wonder, funny enough I was just saying to Tom (my Husband ) if Elaine cant find it nobody can , glad you proved me right yet again lol

Comment

thanks Herky I have some who were baptised when they were a lot older too

Comment

I think there could be various reasons. Maybe money got tight/maybe they didn't like a new vicar/maybe they lost their faith/maybe they joined a non conformist group which only believed in adult baptism/maybe they'd been under pressure from the children's grandparents & they died etc etc etc. One of my own branches had Jewish roots & they had the first 2 children baptised, but not the rest. There wasn't a synagogue available to them in Nottingham....but then again, many Jews went to London especially. By the time the later children were born, informal Jewish ceremonies had started to take place in private houses in Nottingham....so I don't know if they went there or they just didn't bother (no evidence that they practised the Jewish faith after arriving in Britain, or that the wife was Jewish)

Comment

One of the children of the family mentioned above (he was born in 1834) spent several spells in prison, but eventually seems to have settled down. He had an adult baptism.....don't know if that was so that he could marry in church or if it was a "genuine conversion"....maybe prompted by Christian prison visitors

Comment

Val

Susannah Amelia's baptism actually gives the birth date, 17 April 1830 so does that make a difference in your research?

I happened to recognise the name...She is my Great Grand Aunt's Father in Law's wife!

Chris
                            Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

hi Chris I do have that yes , have we been in touch before ?

hyer Grey they do like to confuse us dont they ?

Comment

Hi Val

No we haven't been in touch before.

I don't research very wide from my main line but I can let you have reports for Susannah and her husband Henry Child.
                                Susannah was Henry's second wife and my connection comes through the first wife.
                                I haven't recorded their ancestors or any of their children.

Please let me know if you want what limited info I have.

Chris

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

hi again I did know she married Henry Child in 1857 and he was previously married to a Louisa Tarrett , Do you happen to know if Susannah had a Daughter Jane ? as I seem to have got that name from somewhere but dont know where ?? Thanks and nice to meet you
                                  Last edited by Guest; 26-03-11, 14:27.

Comment

Hi Val

Nice to 'meet' you too!

Just been through all my notes that I don't have recorded in FTM for Henry, Susannah and Lucy/Louisa.

Sorry but Jane is a new name to me, there certainly wasn't a Jane in the censuses. Maybe there was a Jane who was born and then died between censuses?

Chris

Comment

its interesting you call her Lucy as I cannot find a Baptism for a Louisa ? so maybe I should look under Lucy ??? thanks for that.

Comment

Hint....lol

29 Jun 1831 St Luke Chelsea Middlesex

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                        X