Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atwill surname - liverpool / plymouth

HI

I have just started tracing my family tree and would like any information on the name Atwill in Plymouth/Liverpool area

Thanks

phil

Welcome to FTF, Phil!

If you've just started your tree, have you had a look at any of the "newbie advice" pages that are around? They are set up to try to spare you the hassle of falling into the traps which most of us have already fallen into! I really recommend you follow the link in the yellow bar (or that's what it looks like for me!) above "Starting Out on Your Research": http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...etting-Started

Have you decided whether you're focussing on just one family? or on direct-line ancestors (an Ancestral Chart)? or on a One Name Study? or...

The main thing is to start from the facts you know (by which I mean, not only have you been told by the family, but that you do have some documentary back-up!), and then move on in a systematic way to names which are more remote. And make sure you note down where your info has come from each time, so that you know where to go back to if anything needs to be double-checked... and No! you won't just remember, however much you think you will!

There's quite a bit of stuff, for both Lancashire and Devon, on FamilySearch.org and the IGI (International Genealogical Index). The Devon Family History Society has a lot of material published in various formats. There's a very active OPC (Online Parish Clerk - someone who's doen transcriptions of parish registers, usually, but may also do look-ups for you) set-up in Lancs.

My OH has Plymouth/Devonport and Liverpool connections, too, because of Naval involvement.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-03-11, 17:52.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Some observations...
      1841 census - most instances of ATWILL are in Devon - a cluster around Tavistock, a chunk in the Plymouth area, a few in neighbouring counties and a few in Stepney and Shoreditch.
      1851 census - similar distribution, with a few more in the London area.
      1861 census - much the same
      1871 census - the vast majority in Devon, but some around London and a very few in S Wales.
      1881 census - the vast majority in Devon, some around London, one Devon-born man found his way to Lancs.
      1891 census - still mainly a Devonshire name - either living there, or moved away, even as far as Durham, but born in Devon.
      1901 census - still much the same
      1911 census - still much the same First Lancs name - in Salford.
      No examples in the censuses seem to show up in Liverpool.

The Cornish OPC might throw up a few records for you in their online database, in East Cornwall.

Looking at the birth registrations, I'd guess that the Liverpool ATWILLs are probably too recent for you to put their names in your post, because they could be living. http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk has only transcribed two ATWILL births - one each in 1922 (Liverpool) and 1928 (Preston); seven ATWILL marriages betwen 1901 and 1962, all but the first being in Liverpool; no ATWILL deaths.

Have to stop now - I need to be fresh tomorrow... a lot going on, including singing in the choir for a performance of Bach's St Matthew Passion. It's a big sing, so I'd rather not start out tired!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
      X