Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Albert James William Allport c 1879 who moved to Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Albert James William Allport c 1879 who moved to Canada?

Albert married Fanny Loisa Arrowsmith (c 1878) in about March 1916 in Toronto. I am trying to trace hisa birth date, marriage date and deathe date and any children details ? any still living. Many thanks for your help in advance.
    Judith

To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
    -- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

There is a birth reg for a Albert James W Allport in Birmingham in September qtr 1879, vol 6d, page 234.

Also on the 1901 census, aged 21 with parents James William & Annie Allport and brothers Leonard (19), James (17) & Herbert (14).
    Living at 109 Hingeston (?) Street, All Saints, Birmingham. Albert's occupation is shown as Jewellers gold chaser.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

He married Fanny Louisa Arrowsmith, aged 32 & single, (daughter of Edwin Clement Arrowsmith & Nellie Harlow) on 7 July 1910 in Toronto. His occupation is shown as Hall Porter, but interestingly Fanny's father is a jeweller.
      Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 24-03-11, 17:32.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

In 1911 Canadian census Albert & Fanny are living at 215 Borden, Toronto North, Ontario. Albert came to Canada in either 1904 or 1908 (hard to read!) and Fanny came in 1910. I think Albert's occupation is Steward at the Victoria Club.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Albert emigrated to Canada in 1904 aboard the "Bavarian". He was aged 25 and arrived in Montreal, Canada on 30 Sept 1904 from Liverpool, England. He's listed as Alb Allport!

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thank you very much Sue for all the work on this. The 1916 marriage date I got off google. From what you have said Fanny was from England as well as Albert. Judith
            Judith

Comment

Do you know who his parents were? My husband has Allports from Birmingham in his tree.
              Lynn

Comment

There is a likely birth for Fanny Louise Arrowsmith in Oct-Dec 1877 in Aston 6d 451. Aston is part of Birmingham.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Here she is with her parents in 1881, mistranscribed as Fancy!!

and 1901 -

Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-03-11, 20:41.

Comment

Lyn, He was James William Allport born 30.06.1850 died c 03.1923. Married twice1 Annie E Herring C 12.1878 and 2? Catherine Selina Hipkiss c 03.1909. If you let me have your Allport details I will let you know if I have any in my tree. Best wishes Judith
                    Judith

Comment

Thank you Chrissie.
                      Judith

Comment

Chrissie, Sorry to be a pain but I am unable to access this information. Judith
                        Judith

Comment

james william allport married annie herring, dec qtr 1878, birmingham

james william allport married catherine selina hipkiss mar qtr 1909 birmingham

Comment

Thank you. See my post about Selina. Judith
                            Judith

Comment

Thank you for your help. I have seen a birth and a death for a Fanny in 1914 in York district Toronto but cannot access the detail. Could this be her do you think? Judith
                              Judith

Comment

Sorry Judith, I have only just got back on and seen your message. I assumed this was the right Fanny because her father is Edwin Arrowsmith, a jeweller born Birmingham as per the marriage details that Sue gave.

In 1881 Edwin is 28 and wife is named as Helen aged 27
                                Also daughter Helen 5 - Edwin 4 - Fanny (as Fancy) 3 - Alfred 3 months

In 1901 Edwin is 48 and wife 47 this time names as Ellen
                                Also Fanny 23 - Alfred 20 - Florry (transcribed as Ferry but probably Florence Alice from a birth I found in 1882 in Aston) aged 19 - Walter 17 - Madeline 15 - Arthur 13 - Libby 10 - William 8 - Winnie 7

Comment

Thanks Chrissie, Sorry to put you to the extra trouble. I am trying to work out whether to join GR, Ancestry, or Find My Past so have free membership only at present of GR. Judith
                                  Judith

Comment

It's no trouble Judith I can't find a marriage for Edwin to a Nellie Harlow though (as per the same post of Sues').

It all a matter of choice between Ancestry and Find my past. The links I gave are to Ancestry, which I wouldn't be without.
                                    As for GR, I believe you can search trees without being a paying member can't you? Then if you find a likely match that you want to contact you can either join or ask a member on here to do it for you. Personally I wouldn't have full search membership on GR as, from what I can gather, it's expensive and a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by judith allport View Post
                                      <snip> I am trying to work out whether to join GR, Ancestry, or Find My Past so have free membership only at present of GR. Judith
                                      This topic gets raised quite often.

I should check what you can get for free via your local library membership. I can get Ancestry.com if I go to my local branch and book a session (ca 1 hour). The computers are a bit clunky, bit the access is free. To make best use of my time, I usually do my preliminary searches on Ancestry from home, then take the results which I want to pursue, and work from that more advanced starting place once I get to the library.

Then I have personal membership of FMP - which does, at least, offer a loyalty discount automatically to existing members who renew, unlike Ancestry.

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I will check this out with my local library. Thank you. Christine.
                                        Judith

Comment

Working...
                                        X