Seeking information on RAF Riyan, near Aden in 1950s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking information on RAF Riyan, near Aden in 1950s

Hello everyone, I am seeking information on RAF Riyan, near Aden in 1950s, can anyone help??
    Thank you
    Rachel
    ukfamilyhistory
    UK and Worldwide Family History, Ancestral stories, Genealogy Research, Investigations, Tracing Roots, Adoption, Heritage - An opportunity to share stories, hints/tips and problems, in the World of Family History Research

There's some stuff on Wikipedia about Al Makalia & the Hadhramaut.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

have you done a google books search?

"RAF Riyan, with a strength of two officers and thirty airmen, is the smallest of the route stations, and the nearest to Aden, about 270 miles along the..." 1957

Also try the Flight magazine archives - free
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I am ex-WRAF from the 50`s.There is a Forces reunited site,a lot free,where you can ask someone.Lots of people from that decade contribute as Aden was a major posting then.

Comment

Hello everyone - Thank you so much, lots of useful tips here, will follow up on everything
          Rachel

Comment

RAF Riyan

Originally posted by ukfamilyhistory View Post
            Hello everyone, I am seeking information on RAF Riyan, near Aden in 1950s, can anyone help??
            Thank you
            Rachel
            ukfamilyhistory
            http://ukfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com
            I am ex RAF and was stationed at Riyan during early fifties. My parent station was Khormaksar - Aden. I knew the area around Riyan very well including Mukalla and I was very friendly with the Sultan. I still have many photographs and fond memories of Riyan. As far as I can remember the full compliment of RAF men was about ten.

Rex Arnold

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Rex

It looks as though Rachel has not been on this Forum for almost a year but you can send a private message by clicking on her username and selection the option from the drop down box to send a message to her.

If her e mail is still current then she will receive the message

Edna

Comment

RAF Riyan

Originally posted by rex arnold View Post
                I am ex RAF and was stationed at Riyan during early fifties. My parent station was Khormaksar - Aden. I knew the area around Riyan very well including Mukalla and I was very friendly with the Sultan. I still have many photographs and fond memories of Riyan. As far as I can remember the full compliment of RAF men was about ten.

Rex Arnold
                Hi Rex - my father Alfred Newport was posted to Riyan in Nov/Dec 1951 and was there a while I know - don't suppose you came across him, he was a Londoner from Enfield and had the nickname 'Dump' I think!!
                Thanks,
                Rachel

Comment

Thanks Edna - Afraid work has kept me so busy and away from the site, but thanks for the message!!
                  Rachel

Comment

Hi Rex, my name is Tony Day, I was based at RAF Khormaksar in 1952-54. I went to RAF Riyan during 1953 for a week. I had 3 friends stationed there, Peter Alder, who was a clerk, he was there for almost 2 years (52-54) Brian 'Lofty' Goodwin, Mechanic/ Driver, was there for 6 months, 1953, Pincher Martin, aircraft/ airframe mechanic, there 1953. I am in touch with Peter Alder. I was in touch with Brian Goodwin but he died suddenly in 2009. No sign of Pincher Martin. I do have a couple of photos of Riyan, one of them was of a group of the guys on the fire truck. I am now living in NZ. My e-mail address is (email address removed) would be nice to hear from you, do you know any of the people mentioned? Regards, Tony
                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 02-06-14, 07:29. Reason: email address removed

Comment

Tony, have removed your email address from your post as we don't allow these on the open forum. If anyone wants to get in touch with Tony please use the personal message system (click on his username > private message) and Tony will receive an email notification of your message via the forum.
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X