Important to put detail into research, using primary data - quick hint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important to put detail into research, using primary data - quick hint

Having researched two fascinating ancestors from the Norfolk police, I discovered one had worked as an Inspector privately for the Earl of Leicester, at Holkham Hall, Wells, Norfolk. I found out that the estate had an archive - they have given me an amazing insight into Henry's later life. My advice is that it is always worth following up leads to get primary data!!!
    Do check out the updated blog:
    Henry Haylett of the Norfolk police-the story of Henry and his father Robert,also a policeman!
    http://ukfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com

Sounds great! And I agree about following through.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine

Comment

An awful lot of estates hold archived material, one local to me answered a letter asking about volunteering and i spent a few days sifting through and filing documents into chronological order, once they have some archive quality storage available they are asking me back to help out again and calling in the archive resource officer from the local archives to determine if anything should be passed onto them.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

That sounds brilliant, having been helped a lot by archive material, especially as you say from estates, there is nothing I would like more than delving into documents!!!

Comment

Working...
          X