Where there's a will...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where there's a will...?

I recently requested a search for the will of Samuel Bray d. Mar 1721 at Hadeing in Woldale, Kirkburton from Borthwick Institute in York. Unfortunately, unlike my other requests from them, this was a negative result.

Now, I am almost certain that Samuel would have made a will, as he died in his 60s and left behind nine children from two different wives. He also seems to have owned a few different properties, which is why I'm surprised that no will was found - he seems to have been the ideal candidate for leaving one!

How else can I go about trying to find his will...?

Did the Borthwick say it couldn't find one, or do you mean they didn't reply?

When I wanted to see if I had any relevant Yorkshire wills I joined British Origins http://www.origins.net/Welcome.aspx for one month (I think it was about £10) During the month I trawled through all the Borthwick will index and all their other indexes getting any info I could find. The I cancelled so they didn't take the next month sub!

I got a list of about 12 wills in the index relating to various parts of my family. Next I intend to pay a visit to York and spend the day getting copies of all these wills.

Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 23-03-11, 17:22.

Comment

Anne,

It returned a negative search. Does Origins.net just have Borthwick wills, or do they have other Yorkshire based things that might be able to help me out...?

Comment

They have a variety of stuff on Origins - have a look at the link I put above.

I'm not really clear myself just how comprehensive the Borthwick collection of Yorkshire wills is. Maybe there might be something in the local archive for Kirkburton? Would that be West Yorkshire Archive Services at Kirklees?

Of course he may not have left a will! Watching 'Heir Hunters' on BBC1 makes you realise how many people just don't get round to it and I guess it was always so.

Sorry not to be more help
        Anne

Comment

Do you know what area his main property was situated, as that will be where the Will was proved, normally.

Yorkshire covers some pretty odd places, ecclesiastically speaking, lol.

OC

Comment

There's a reference to a list of indexes to Yorkshire Probate Records on this page of GENUKI

Have you thought of consulting the Yorkshire Registry of Deeds held at Wakefield for the property?
            The West Yorkshire Archive Service collects and looks after the unique documentary heritage of the region. We have five district offices

Anne

Comment

Anne - I've had a nose at origins before, but haven't yet paid. Can't really afford to atm.

I would be surprised if there were no will. His father and brother both left them, and this chap seems to have had more properties than them! He lived in Cinderhills, Loukeshouse in Hepworth, Mealhill in Hepworth, and finally at Hades (Hadeing?) in Woldale.

Am investigating your other links. Thanks for those!

Comment

Working...
              X