The Farlington Laundry,Powerscourt Rd,Portsmouth pre 1940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Farlington Laundry,Powerscourt Rd,Portsmouth pre 1940

Can anyone tell me anything about this business please.I think the name came about because the Martin family used to be in Farlington previously.Edward Frank Martin(known as Frank)was born in Wiltshire in 1878 & married Emily Frances Dedman from Sussex.I know that they both retired to IOW where they died &no children are recorded.Other Martins were involved in the business,in fact one had a coal business next door.Perhaps it didn`t survive the bombing butit was still there in 1938.If you are from that family or can shed any light on who they were I would appreciate hearing from you.

Welcome to FTF, Cecily!

I tried googling - but only ended up with your posts here and on Rootsweb.

There are people here from Hampshire, who may be able to help. I had a look on the Hants RO site (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives/catalog.htm) without success.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Cecily
      You may get some help if you contact the local newspaper for the Portsmouth area.
      It is called The News and they have a free column, when space permits called Where Are They Now? People write in with brief notes of what / who they are hoping to find and there have been many successes.

Gwyn

Comment

Thank you for your replies.Will try the News column Gwyn

Comment

Working...
        X