Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was he between 1861 and 1911 ?

Frederick Knight born 29 Aug 1823 Bermondsey
    I know all about him up to and including 1861 where he is a Leather Dresser lodging in Newington St Mary

I know who he married and his childrens names and also that they went to Australia in 1855 without him

So only want to find him after 1861 until his death in 1911 in Richmond Victoria Australia

Any ideas please ?

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    I know all about him up to and including 1861 where he is a Leather Dresser lodging in Newington St Mary

I know who he married and his childrens names and also that they went to Australia in 1855 without him

So only want to find him after 1861 until his death in 1911 in Richmond Victoria Australia

Any ideas please ?
    Have you looked here http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/rec...rch/index.aspx The national Archives in Australia, if he died in Au then there should be a record of him entering.
    Kaz.
    "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

Comment

thanks very much Kaz, not seen that site before ?

Comment

thanks very much Kaz, not seen that site before ?
        It's a great site,found one of my rellies married a japanesse lady & they kept 'their eye' on her untill she died ;D I have everything on her,a passport number & photo,her parents details,where she was born in Japan, who she married before & why he died,her son & so on,so i hope it helps,you may find other family members sometimes photos
        Good Luck
        Kaz.

Comment

Val,
          I am not sure if FMP's migrants list goes back far enough, but worth a look. Failing that I can have a look on the victorian immigrants lists and see if he is there.
          As it is a fairly common name do you have his age ?
          The NAA is the Australian equivalent of the Brit National Archives, with one outstanding difference. Most of the records are accessable on line.
          David
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Val,
            Apologies, I didn't notice that you had already put his birth date on your original post.
            DaVID

David

Comment

not found him there Kaz but a very interesting site thanks again.
              have looked on FMP David thanks, as you say such a common name and not all have the birth year which does not help.

Comment

Val,
                I have had no luck with your Frederick. As the NAA has only entry records from 1923 that is out, most earlier records are kept by various state archives and unfortunately not
                all their records are on line, generally on microfische, which as far as I am concerned is a waste of time. The national library has a lot more and being a member of that institution
                I have been able to search through many of the passenger lists, unfortunately with no luck. I am led to believe that early Australian immigrant records are not complete as many
                ships entered the country and did not provide manifests of their passengers. By 1860 things were on the improve but still not all were kept.
                David

David

Comment

Name change ? Had a similar problem with someone in the same area and found her eventually married under a different name with 2 children with yet another surname. Nightmare !!!

Comment

thanks David nice of you for trying ,BC thats possible too I suppose? maybe he had been a naughty boy ?

Comment

You could have a go here:
                      We couldn't locate this page on our website. Sorry!   We do our best to ensure that all of the links on our website are working correctly so you may be using a bookmarked link to content that is no longer available. The specific content you're looking for may have changed or been retired (such as any links to access the collection). If you go directly to prov.vic.gov.au you should be able to navigate to the content you're seeking by searching the catalogue (for records) or website (for articles, blogs or other website content).

It's worth a look in the FTF Reference Library to see what resources have been found for Australian research.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Any ideas please ?
                        I found this today Historic Australian Newspapers, 1803 to 1954
                        http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper & found some wonderful things in the newspapers......
                        1) Florence Maria Lalor who married Roy Johnston,it described her wedding dress,her father,brothers bridesmaids,his parents,who gave her the veil,the flowers, the honeymoon & what Florence wore going to her honeymoon.
                        2) Her father William Hiller Lalor who suffered a fractured skull at the age of 69 :(,it didn't kill him & he went on till the age of 85.....
                        Good luck.......
                        Kaz.

Historic Australian Newspapers, 1803 to 1954
                        Trove - The National Library of Australia, in collaboration with Australian State and Territory libraries, runs the Australian Newspaper Digitization Program with the aim of making as many publications available online as possible.

Comment

thanks Christine , and Kazig how lucky is that ???? I'll see if I can find anything on those sites thanks you two.

Comment

Working...
                          X