Booth marriage to Bray early 1700s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booth marriage to Bray early 1700s

In attempt to take my tree back further, I recently got hold of the 1752 will of my 5xGreat Grandfather, Bartholomew Bray of Holmfirth, Kirkburton, Yorkshire. He mentions a 'brother in law John Booth'. Now, given that Bart's wife was Elizabeth Oldham, this means that Bart had a sister, and that sister must have married John Booth.

And yet I can find nothing in relation to said marriage. Obviously this isn't hugely unusual (as Bart's baptism also escapes the records!) but I was wondering if any Booth researchers might be able to shed a little light on this...

Stephen

His brother in law could be the husband of his sister, or the husband of his wife's sister, surely?

OC

Comment

The brother in law as husband of sister is what I had stated, yeah. I don't think, however, that the husband of his wife's sister would qualify as being a "brother in law" though, would it? More of a brother-in-law-in-law...!

Comment

They didn't necessarily go in for such precision. "Fairly close married-in male relative" might qualify.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John.

Interesting. Thanks for that clarification...

Comment

I always refer to my brother's wife as my sister in law. My husband's brother's wife is also my sister in law.

I agree with Uncle John though, the terms weren't always precisely used. An "in-law" relationship refers to a legal concept and at that time it would have been a relationship by marriage.

OC

Comment

And always the risk that it actually means "step-brother" in modern terminology.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X