A Humdinger of a mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Humdinger of a mystery

You thought Alfred Alexander was a problem.....try this one!!

Walter Lalor was born 13/7/1843 in Aston Warwickshire,parents Michael Lalor & Eliza Simmons,Michael & Eliza were not married as no marriage has ever been found.

Walter had a brother Henry born 27/6/1842 at Wappenbury,Warwickshire,father was Michael Lalor but the mother of Henry was not Eliza but was Hannah Malin ,they were also not married as Hannah went on to marry Richard Beale in 1850 at Warwick.

On the 1841 census Michael appears as a single man from Ireland born around 1818 & his occupation was a Policeman,also on Henry & Walter's birth certificates it also states Michael was a copper.

After a long search for Michael's Police records we found Michael & Francis Lalor[could be Michael's brother?] were both forced to resign due to some big wigs in Ireland contacting the Police Force in the UK.... Still don't the reason to this. :(

We did find Michael re-joining the police force in Essex,but he didn't stay long enough to get his bum warm before he resigned once again............This all happened between 1842 & 1843 & then Michael vanishes & so did Francis,along with his family.....Where did they go???

I have checked the 1851 census for Walter, Michael & also Francis & they are all missing from the 1851 & 1861 census..... However,i was able to find Walter entering the Navy in 1859 & that was it,nothing else on him untill Walter suddenly pops up getting married to Elizabeth Perrin in 1863 at Marylebone Middlesex,however the mystery deepens as on Walter's marriage cert to Elizabeth he said his father was John Lalor & not Michael.......Why? Elizabeth Perrin wasn't exactly honest either,she said her father was James Perrin when her real father was William Hillyer Perrin & she did have a step-father Thomas Perrin [maybe a brother or cousin of William Hillyer Perrin]

Walter is on the census from 1871 to 1911 & i also have his death in 1920 along with Elizabeth?

We have been informed that Walter could be the 'Love Child' of a Lord De Willoughby and his Irish maid, who then married a man named Michael Lalor...If this is true then where is the marriage of Michael & the Irish maid..............If anyone can solve this then you deserve a huge sloppy kiss & a huge hug!!!
    Thanks,
    Kaz.
    "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

Have you got anything for Eliza at all as I would have expected she would be with Walter in 1851 and since she never married Michael Lalor was perhaps under her maiden name.
    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      Have you got anything for Eliza at all as I would have expected she would be with Walter in 1851 and since she never married Michael Lalor was perhaps under her maiden name.
      Margaret
      Hi Margaret,
      I have tried that,but still nothing shows :>((
      Kaz.

Comment

Do you have access to the C19th British Library Newspaper Collection online? I do via my library card.

The name "Michael LALOR" shows up in a number of papers, e.g.:
        [1] LAW INTELLIGENCE .
        Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Friday, April 27, 1838; Issue N/A
        [2] DUBLIN POLICE—YESTERDAY .
        Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Thursday, December 6, 1838; Issue N/A
        [3] Advertisements & Notices .
        Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Saturday, October 5, 1839; Issue N/A
        [4] DEPOPULATION IN THE QUEEN'S COUNTY .
        Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Tuesday, March 24, 1840; Issue N/A

[5] Advertisements & Notices .
        Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Friday, May 20, 1842; Issue N/A

and so on

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          Do you have access to the C19th British Library Newspaper Collection online? I do via my library card.

The name "Michael LALOR" shows up in a number of papers, e.g.:
          [1] LAW INTELLIGENCE .
          Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Friday, April 27, 1838; Issue N/A
          [2] DUBLIN POLICE—YESTERDAY .
          Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Thursday, December 6, 1838; Issue N/A
          [3] Advertisements & Notices .
          Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Saturday, October 5, 1839; Issue N/A
          [4] DEPOPULATION IN THE QUEEN'S COUNTY .
          Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Tuesday, March 24, 1840; Issue N/A
          [5] Advertisements & Notices .
          Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Friday, May 20, 1842; Issue N/A

and so on

Christine
          Hi Christine,
          Thankyou & fo yur help, i have just found the details on him,it was on another laptop...

Francis Lalor: date joined Police force 19/3/1840 as a P.C. became Police inspector 4/1/1841 Warrant no; 35
          Resigned 14/6/1841 By whom ordered: Inspector Rowan Esq.,R. Grimshaw Esq.,Justice if the Peace County Antrim & several other justices in Ireland.

Michael Lalor: date joined Police force:13/6/1840 as a P.C. Warrant no: 47 resigned 28/3/1842.
          By whom ordered: J.W.Burke Esq.,Carrakoel,Loughsea,Hyacinth Clarke Esq.,Carraroe Lodge & several other Clergy & gentry in Ireland.
          Thanks again...................
          Kaz.

Comment

I put "Hyacinth Clarke" into the newspaper collection search and found a brief article about a hurling match. "... Mr Hyacinth Clarke, agent to Sir John Bourke..."
            [1] PRINCE LOUIS NAPOLEON.
            Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Friday, January 1, 1841; Issue N/A. (647 words).
            [2] IRISH FAIRS.
            Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Saturday, January 2, 1841; Issue N/A. (1632 words)

But I haven't managed to find anything to show what actually happened to your two men.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-03-11, 23:34.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you checked passenger lists? It could be that if they were ex-police it might have been difficult for them to get new work in the UK.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                Have you checked passenger lists? It could be that if they were ex-police it might have been difficult for them to get new work in the UK.
                Margaret
                Hi Margaret,
                Yes i have but being such common names it's hard to say if he did leave the country,not only that as the people from Ireland were after him then he might of used a false name.
                Thanks
                Kaz.

Comment

Working...
                X