Having problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having problems

I have been trying to get a birth for a William John Gillingham he's baptism was 25/09/1842, in Stoke Abbott Dorset the GRO cannot find the birth I know that the baptism date isn't necessarily the date they were born.

When I put the details into ancestry they come up with the different districts but I do not know the district Stoke Abbott comes under.

His father is John Gillingham
    Mother Elizabeth Maiden name I think is Young but not 100% sure.

Any suggestions please? if someone could tell me the district that would be a help

Christine

Between 1837 and 1937 Stoke Abbott comes under the Beaminster registration district.
    Elaine

Comment

Have you found him in a census, which might give you a better idea as to whether 1842 was his birth year?
      Elaine

Comment

Yes have found him in the census the census state 1843 and I found the baptism in the church records at Stoke Abbott which is the 1842 I have asked the GRO for certificates in both years.

Comment

... of course, there is always the possibility that his birth was not registered!
          Elaine

Comment

Would you know Elaine is Stoke Abbott the same as Stoke Abbas? I suppose I could have a look for one of his siblings. I have managed to find William Gillinham they have missed out the g he was born July 1842 district beaminster and then he could have been baptised Sept what do you think

Christine

Comment

I think that Stoke Abbas and Stoke Abbott, if not the same place, certainly are both in Dorset within the Beaminster registration district. Both are 2 miles from Beaminster so I think that the William Gillinham you have found is very possibly the one you are looking for

Comment

I would agree that the William Gillinham you have found is a good possibility! Certainly worth a try.
                Elaine

Comment

Thank you both

Comment

Working...
                  X