Vaccinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccinations

Am I right in thinking that the vaccinations (or re-vaccinations) given to servicemen in late 1800's early 1900's were for smallpox? I have been reading the service record for one rellie, a career soldier, who was revaccinated in 1894, but it was stated that this failed. He was in and out of hospital, (mostly for syphilis etc) and eventually died of TB. Does anyone know when the Vaccination for TB was developed?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

TB vaccination wasn't developed until the 1950s at the earliest. (I think!).

I would think you are right about the smallpox vaccination.
    EDIT - nope, I'm wrong, there has been a TB vaccine around since 1930s, apparently.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 19-03-11, 21:56. Reason: Correction

Comment

Mass TB vaccinations apparently didn't start till after WWII:

Comment

Vaccinations were for smallpox only. After the initial vax we would be checked a week or so later to see if they had 'taken'' If not, a redo. This was well after ww2, but I don't know if
        the practice still continues.
        David
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Ok thanks for that info - I thought it might be smallpox as I know it can tend to wear off and you need to be revaccinated for it - I think I've had it about 3 times myself!

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
            Vaccinations were for smallpox only. After the initial vax we would be checked a week or so later to see if they had 'taken'' If not, a redo. This was well after ww2, but I don't know if
            the practice still continues.
            David
            It doesn't still continue for smallpox - that's one disease the WHO has managed to eradicate, apart from the lab samples, I believe. There are others which ought to be eradicable, but the will may not be there to get the comprehensive vaccinations/injections - especially when superstition is invoked, or when people have a conflicting agenda.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Little historical snippet - I believe the vaccination for Smallpox was developed by Edward Jenner, after it was noticed that milk maids seemed to have immunity to smallpox, by innoculating the closely related cow pox - vacca being latin for cow.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Looks like the army vaccinated for smallpox by the early 19th century. According to a newspaper of August 18, 1812.

"Statement by Secretary of State, Home Department.
                In the army, the practice of vaccination has been long established … for almost the only persons among the troops who have lately been affected with small pox, have been either recruits, who had received the infection prior to their enlistment, or soldiers who had not been vaccinated, on the supposing of their having had the variolous disease. Thus with a few exception … the disease is now nearly extinguished in the army."

Edit: I've never come across this word before: Variolous: Of, relating to, or affected with smallpox
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I think Catherine the Great of Russia (mid-late 18th century) was one of the very first to be vaccinated against small pox. It was still controversial then, though, because people were rather scared of getting sick than becoming immune. She did a lot to make vaccination be considered a safe method. By the 19th century, I would imagine that the army certainly vaccinated en masse as it was a disease that could potentially, if not kill at least weaken your troops considerably.

Comment

Working...
                  X