Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Down the Origins of My Local..Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking Down the Origins of My Local..Help!

My pub is The Waverley, 69 Severn road, Weston super Mare.

Picture here: http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...ton_Super_Mare

We locals argue amongst ourselves as to its origins. Some say it was a Masonic temple, some say it began as a funeral parlour. The pic seems to add some credence to these theories.

In 1964 I remember the place was just an off-licence, I think it was called Hansons.

In the mid-70's it became a fully-fledged public house and was named The Severn House. In 1994 it was renamed The Waverley, after the paddle steamer that calls into WSM most years.

Today I started to dig around a little. The 1911 census summary has it down as a Public House OFF, with a Mr Demack in residence along with 3 females and another male.

So now my interest is sparked up!

But I don't know where to go from here. Can someone give me some guidance please?

Mike

Your local library or Family History Society may have some more information about the place. You could also perhaps look t the electoral roll for that address in years gone by - the library will have these.
    Trade or Post Office Directories may also help shed some light on the buildings history.
    Margaret

Comment

Does the local museum have anything useful?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I see that in 1911 when Mr Demack signed his census return he gave his address as Severn House. In 1901 Severn House was occupied by Stephen Cooke licensed victualler. RG13 piece 2325 folio 7 page 6 These pages cover Severn Road but only house names are given, no numbers. I can't see Severn House in 1891, and there seem to be less houses in Severn Road then. In 1881 Severn Road didn't come up at all when I searched.
        Some more thoughts:
        The building in the photo looks typical late Victorian elaborate architecture, in which case there wasn't much time for it to have been a masonic lodge/funeral parlour before 1901, though of course it could have had lots of changes of use between 1911 and your memory of it in 1964. The local library may have street directories, such as Kelly's which could help as they have adverts for businesses, and also listings street by street. For my local town these exist right through late victorian and early to mid 20th century.
        Last edited by JudithM; 20-03-11, 10:09. Reason: extra thoughts
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Have you googled British pubs? There are various organizations interested in their history, including one that tracks dead pubs: http://www.deadpubssociety.org.uk/index.php/Main_Page.

Comment

Many thanks for all the assistance!

I'm still struggling to find the pub in the 1901 census though.

Mike

Comment

Which site do you use for census Mike? I used address search on Find My Past. Put in Severn Road Weston Super Mare which gave page 1 and then scrolled through next pages til I spotted Severn House. RG13 piece 2325 folio 7 page 6 If you cant' find the 1901 entry through the reference I gave I'll see if I can find a name to search on which will throw up the right page.
              Last edited by JudithM; 20-03-11, 18:42.

Comment

Just realised i read the name as Cooke but its transcribed Cook. Try looking for Stephen Cook age 36 born Cinderford, Gloucestershire

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                  Which site do you use for census Mike? I used address search on Find My Past. Put in Severn Road Weston Super Mare which gave page 1 and then scrolled through next pages til I spotted Severn House. RG13 piece 2325 folio 7 page 6 If you cant' find the 1901 entry through the reference I gave I'll see if I can find a name to search on which will throw up the right page.
                  Thanks Judith, I'm with Ancestry, I didn't know about address searches. The info you gave me was sufficient to find Severn House on the 1901 Census, thanks again.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X