Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a wonderful Victorian Photo Album..full of family portrait photos! Yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a wonderful Victorian Photo Album..full of family portrait photos! Yours?

I have just come into the possession of a wonderful brown embossed leather bound Victorian photo album, full of family portrait photos.

(I purchased it because I have Frances Maude Walley in my husband’s family tree. She married a Harold Thomas Bull as Solicitor in 1898. Her Father was William Henry Walley, a Solicitor too from Manchester and her mother was Clara Jane Buckland born 1844 Kent.)

The album was found it an attic of a smallish Victorian terrace, in the Albert Street, St Nicholas Street area of Droitwich-Spa. How long it was in the attic is not known..

Inside the cover of the album it is inscribed with the following details.

With Best Wishes to
    Miss Maud Walleyfrom Ted on October 20th 1897

Most of the photos were taken in Manchester.

(My Frances Maud Walley had an uncle Edwin/Edward Buckland)

Loose inside the album is a piece of paper, not necessarily relating to the photos in the album, but it reads...

Eliza Bold Her Book
    Titmarsh Northampton May 2 1851

Also loose in the album is a torn photo of Mr Edward Dunn, in what looks like a Band Uniform, Director of Music, Morecombe Corporation.

If anyone has photos of any of their Walley ancestors/family perhaps they can contact me as they might just be in this album too.
    teresa

I can't think of any excuse to claim it, but it certainly sounds interesting!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Here are some of the photos at the end of the Album.

teresa

Comment

teresa

Comment

teresa

Comment

teresa

Comment

teresa

Comment

teresa

Comment

teresa

Comment

Anyone recognise these photos?
                    teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      I can't think of any excuse to claim it, but it certainly sounds interesting!

Christine

Neither can I Christine, though I could use the excuse that I was born and bred in Manchester and know Broughton very well. My Aunt and Uncle were publicans who ran the Broughton Pub in Salford, for a good number of years...........

Not gonna get me anywhere though is it lol?
                      Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Hi,
                        Not sure if it is of interest, but I note on the second photo. is an address, ?t Clowes St, Bro*ghton.
                        As a child I lived in Broughton, Salford, Lancashire. and down the road from us was Gt Clowes Street. The area was actually known as Higher. Broughton, as there was a lower Broughton too.
                        Coinsident? that the Bandmaster is referred to as Morecambe. in Lancashire like Salford! But he needn't have lived there (Morecambe) as was the case when I was a Brass Bandsman. Players often traveled a long way to play with a good band. And as a B/ Master he may have been on a retainer to Conduct the band in Morecambe.
                        The photo. to the right of the Sergent is obviously the same person as the B/Master.
                        Hope this is of interest.
                        Last edited by Pipeman; 19-03-11, 22:36.
                        Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeman View Post
                          Hi,
                          Not sure if it is of interest, but I note on the second photo. is an address, ?t Clowes St, Bro*ghton.
                          As a child I lived in Broughton, Salford, Lancashire. and down the road from us was Gt Clowes Street. The area was actually known as Higher. Broughton, as there was a lower Broughton too.
                          Coinsident? that the Bandmaster is referred to as Morecambe. in Lancashire like Salford! But he needn't have lived there (Morecambe) as was the case when I was a Brass Bandsman. Players often traveled a long way to play with a good band. And as a B/ Master he may have been on a retainer to Conduct the band in Morecambe.
                          The photo. to the right of the Sergent is obviously the same person as the B/Master.
                          Hope this is of interest.
                          Yes, that is interesting to know, pipeman, thanks.

I think that the 2 children are probably his as they were on the page behind his photo in the album.

Hope I can find someone who knows of them!
                          teresa

Comment

Wonder if the local paper would be interested...it would make a good story, especially if you can locate relatives etc

Comment

Well my mom was a Whalley but her fathers parents were illegitate .She has researched the family extensivley. They hail from Cheshire. I'll let my mom take a look. Hope you get this message.

Comment

isn't that wonderful ? wish it were mine , wonder if anybody is researching them ??

Comment

this looks like the Eliza Bold from Titmarsh Northampton
                                  http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...8372435&recoff=
                                  Wouldnt it be great if we could reunite the right family with it ???
                                  Last edited by Guest; 02-05-12, 19:54.

Comment

I wish I had some photos like these, my husbands family have loads of lovely old photos.

Thanks for sharing
                                    KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                      this looks like the Eliza Bold from Manchester
                                      http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...8372435&recoff=
                                      Wouldnt it be great if we could reunite the right family with it ???
                                      I had a look at that link Val and I can't see the Manchester connection Eliza seems to have been born in Tichmarsh Northants.

Margaret

Comment

I was looking at this Margaret and wrote the wrote place down meant Northampton sorry

Teresa said there was a note in there from her

Eliza Bold
                                        Her Book
                                        Titmarsh Northampton May 2 1851
                                        Last edited by Guest; 02-05-12, 19:55.

Comment

Working...
                                        X